How to stop school shootings, a letter to Mary Fallin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osy79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been deeply bothered by this most recent shooting... I'm at the point where I'm no longer willing to accept it and move on. I've been working non-stop since the shooting to create a plan that could make a difference.

Here is a link to find your representative if you would like to make a difference as well:
http://www.okhouse.gov/FindMyLegislature.aspx?State=OK

After another year with multiple school shootings, we have more children murdered, and more incompetent plans to prevent future active shooters. Right now there is only one narrative to resolve this issue, a new "Assault Weapons Ban". This is where I hope Oklahoma will step up and show the nation how to move forward.

There have been a number of examples around the world, of policies that have been implemented far more effectively than the always irrelevant "gun free zone". This is a collection of the best methods & ideas already in place today that can be adopted by our state to create the best possible model for stopping an active shooter. While many solutions can go beyond budget, the Emergency Action Plan can be adopted with very minimal expense. If Oklahoma can standardize countermeasures from on site First Responders, it will have the most aggressive (and successful) solution to active shooters in the nation today.

Emergency Action Plan
  • An Emergency Action Plan designed around on an on site Emergency Response Team
  • Establish a program in the Police Academy that allows school staff (voluntary) to become armed & trained First Responders (similar to Harrold Texas)
  • Establish an Oklahoma Civil Guard, where civilians can become trained and qualified as volunteers to protect schools & facilities (ie Israel's Mishmar Ezrahi)
  • Training for students & staff to include "Attack Countermeasure Training" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9zBuFQMv-Go)
  • Establish security training & protocol for school bus drivers to assist in security of children outside school
  • Establish a program that allows civilians to be trained by local law enforcement to respond to an active shooter (per Lubbock Texas)

School Upgrades
  • All schools will have a primary security entry
  • All doors containing glass will be upgraded with bullet resistant glass
  • All exterior & interior doors will be equipped with a barricading system (capable of being disengaged by authorities)
  • All windows & doors be numbered internally & externally
  • All Classrooms will contain a basic emergency pack with trauma kit
  • Security Posts in front of entries to prevent breach of automotive vehicle
  • Schools equipped with acoustic Gunfire Locator system capable of instant notification to emergency personnel

Additionally, any situation involving an active shooter in Oklahoma will be classified as an act of terrorism.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now explain exactly how you intend to fund your proposal or it's really just another gun board mental masturbation exercise. $$$$ are the mother's milk of politics and nothing happens until you have included.

osy79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Emergency Action Plan consists of established training programs that already exist. The idea is to now incorporate civilians into the training that would be relevant as first responders to an active shooter.

Think about how insignificant the budget is in Harrold Texas, where they have implemented teachers to carry firearms in school:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/harrold-texas-school-guns_n_2316729.html

What would it cost OKC to allow teachers to get qualified for firearms carry in schools with this model?

The idea of a Civilian Guard is (again) training for civilians that already exists for LEO's. You're looking at an actual cost of less than $1k per volunteer for 2+ days of training (compared with the costs of have SRO's on site at schools which they have now & cost over $50k annually).

The model for this is something that could (should) see federal funding, but not necessary, especially when you consider all the retired officers / security who already have the background & training (and are used by some schools currently).

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been deeply bothered by this most recent shooting... I'm at the point where I'm no longer willing to accept it and move on. I've been working non-stop since the shooting to create a plan that could make a difference.

Here is a link to find your representative if you would like to make a difference as well:
http://www.okhouse.gov/FindMyLegislature.aspx?State=OK

After another year with multiple school shootings, we have more children murdered, and more incompetent plans to prevent future active shooters. Right now there is only one narrative to resolve this issue, a new "Assault Weapons Ban". This is where I hope Oklahoma will step up and show the nation how to move forward.

There have been a number of examples around the world, of policies that have been implemented far more effectively than the always irrelevant "gun free zone". This is a collection of the best methods & ideas already in place today that can be adopted by our state to create the best possible model for stopping an active shooter. While many solutions can go beyond budget, the Emergency Action Plan can be adopted with very minimal expense. If Oklahoma can standardize countermeasures from on site First Responders, it will have the most aggressive (and successful) solution to active shooters in the nation today.

Emergency Action Plan
  • An Emergency Action Plan designed around on an on site Emergency Response Team
  • Establish a program in the Police Academy that allows school staff (voluntary) to become armed & trained First Responders (similar to Harrold Texas)
  • Establish an Oklahoma Civil Guard, where civilians can become trained and qualified as volunteers to protect schools & facilities (ie Israel's Mishmar Ezrahi)
  • Training for students & staff to include "Attack Countermeasure Training" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9zBuFQMv-Go)
  • Establish security training & protocol for school bus drivers to assist in security of children outside school
  • Establish a program that allows civilians to be trained by local law enforcement to respond to an active shooter (per Lubbock Texas)

School Upgrades
  • All schools will have a primary security entry
  • All doors containing glass will be upgraded with bullet resistant glass
  • All exterior & interior doors will be equipped with a barricading system (capable of being disengaged by authorities)
  • All windows & doors be numbered internally & externally
  • All Classrooms will contain a basic emergency pack with trauma kit
  • Security Posts in front of entries to prevent breach of automotive vehicle
  • Schools equipped with acoustic Gunfire Locator system capable of instant notification to emergency personnel

Additionally, any situation involving an active shooter in Oklahoma will be classified as an act of terrorism.

I believe this is what Poke was talking about. Getting teachers certified is cheap...

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Emergency Action Plan consists of established training programs that already exist. The idea is to now incorporate civilians into the training that would be relevant as first responders to an active shooter.

Think about how insignificant the budget is in Harrold Texas, where they have implemented teachers to carry firearms in school:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/harrold-texas-school-guns_n_2316729.html

What would it cost OKC to allow teachers to get qualified for firearms carry in schools with this model?

The idea of a Civilian Guard is (again) training for civilians that already exists for LEO's. You're looking at an actual cost of less than $1k per volunteer for 2+ days of training (compared with the costs of have SRO's on site at schools which they have now & cost over $50k annually).

The model for this is something that could (should) see federal funding, but not necessary, especially when you consider all the retired officers / security who already have the background & training (and are used by some schools currently).

Can you be specific about what program should be de-funded to provide money for this? Why are you choosing that program to de-fund? Alternatively, how would you raise new taxes to support schools implementing your plan? Training is not as inexpensive as you've represented and it has continuing costs. YouTube has a video on Active Shooter Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbR9TDL4twU This was developed as a response to what was observed at Columbine with officers waiting outside to enter as a team rather than moving to engage as they came on scene. I seriously doubt that training is given away for the rates you've quoted.

Harrold TX is a 200-student K-12 district in the middle of nowhere that has a lesson for us about the silliness of "gun-free zones", aka criminal empowerment zones. Actually, this is an excellent and simple model where the basic premise of our basic human right to self-defense is put into practice without overthinking the approach. I guess that's what I'm trying to say when asking you about funding, taxes, program costs, etc. I believe your complex proposal only lends credence to the anti-gun crew that would have us believe the use of tools for self-defense may only be allowed to those they've deemed special in some way.

There are examples (poorly covered by most media) of how what could have become shooting sprees were cut off by one capable defensive shooter that were simply in place with the right hardware and frame of mind to stop the advance of a criminal.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Having having civilians trained to help with security is a good gesture, but I can't imagine trying to keep track of who is legit and who's an imposter.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now explain exactly how you intend to fund your proposal or it's really just another gun board mental masturbation exercise. $$$$ are the mother's milk of politics and nothing happens until you have included.

Are you just wanting to sit back and allow our children to be slaughtered?

Latest posts

Top Bottom