I live in poverty???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Census Bureau defines poverty as annual income below $22,314 for a family of four. if broken down to an hourly wage 22,314/12 months= 1859.50 monthly... 1859.50/4 weeks= 464.88 per week. 464.88/40 hours= 11.62 per hour. I make a little less than above hourly, but to be fare I do have bonuses and overtime that take me over said final line. However at that hourly wage I am the only one in my home that caries a full time job, my wife is pregnant with our second child. So technically I am above the line but honestly not by much. Now for my poverty stricken status My rent is paid, my bills are paid, I have no car notes, no major dept as they are all paid off, I have a modified 2001 jeep wrangler, a 2001 jeep cherokee that has more in suspention, tires, and aftermarket parts than its kbb value, I have a 98 camry as a daily driver, a motorcycle, a seadoo, and an expencive habit of firearms. Now my point is not to brag about all the things I have, but to brag about all the things I dont. I dont have government handouts, I dont need to steal, I dont feel sorry for myself, as my family is happy and honestly untill today I did not even realise that I lived in poverty. I actually have to say from what I see of poverty I live a preaty ok life, granted I dont have thousands stored away and I dont play the stock market. I also dont sweat bills at the end of the month and am usually able to go out on family outings two or three times per month be it to okc to visit friends and family, to the zoo, or just a date night with the wife. now I find this perplexing to see that I feel I am living a good life with a happy healthy family with pleanty of toys, but I know so many people in middle to upper class ranges that struggle day to day to put gas in there vehicles, lights in there house, or even food on the table... What gives?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its interesting. the whole poverty level thing. I make half that and my wife makes less than $10 an hour.
we are in about the same situation as you and most people we meet think we are rich.
I guess its all about what you waste your money on.
go to somebody on welfare's house and look around. they collect welfare for their daily needs and then have lots of cash for crap like big flat screen tvs in every room, latest greatest cellphone,hundreds of video games and movies, etc.
they are never married so they don't have to report the husband's (boyfriend's) income.
they just learn how to work the system.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What gives? More than likely it's people's need for instant gratification and them living above their needs. The key is making sure you manage your debt or better yet lack of debt. I used to work in finance and it would amaze me how someone would have a six figure income would have a higher debt ratio and less money left over at the end of the month compared to someone making $25k. It's like that old debt consolidation commercial where the guy is bragging about his cars, house, country club membership but at the end says "I have debt coming out of my eyeballs".

Latest posts

Top Bottom