If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is literally so much bullchit in this thread I could have swore I was somewhere between cecum and appendix. There is a large difference in a company that is only E&P (Most of what is in Oklahoma and the rest of the oil producing states) and refiners or companies that do it all (Saudi Aramco, Conoco, Shell). Also not sure many people understand the impact oil has on the economy. Great, you have low fuel costs, wont that be great when the global economy, including our own, goes crashing to shite.

When did OKShooters get overran with senseless, blow-hard morons... I have been away for far too long.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is literally so much bullchit in this thread I could have swore I was somewhere between cecum and appendix. There is a large difference in a company that is only E&P (Most of what is in Oklahoma and the rest of the oil producing states) and refiners or companies that do it all (Saudi Aramco, Conoco, Shell). Also not sure many people understand the impact oil has on the economy. Great, you have low fuel costs, wont that be great when the global economy, including our own, goes crashing to shite.

When did OKShooters get overran with senseless, blow-hard morons... I have been away for far too long.

When did OKShooters get overran with senseless, blow-hard morons... Spoken in Michael Buffer voiceLETS GET IT ON!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.... so what I'm reading from some folks is that we should keep oil prices high, so we can support paying more people higher salaries to produce it.

So... we should probably increase burger prices to a minimum of $10 per patty - to increase wages to those cooking them, all the way up the chain to the farmers who produce the beef and the feed for the cattle.

We should also force an increase in ammo prices to benefit the workers at the factories making it. They need an increase in their wages.

In fact, we should artificially prop up prices on all products so that people can make more money for making them.

Right?

We don't need or want anything to be inexpensive - we want to shell out more for it to increase wages - never mind that that increases all the costs across the board. lol

Gallon of milk, loaf of bread, pack of smokes, gallon of gas, case of beer, bucket of minnows, chicken fried steak dinner, bag of cement, kilowatt of electricity.... you're free to pay extra for any of those things should you wish to do so, out of the good of your heart, if you have so much extra to blow - just to increase the wages of the people who produce those items. Go ahead.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.... so what I'm reading from some folks is that we should keep oil prices high, so we can support paying more people higher salaries to produce it.

So... we should probably increase burger prices to a minimum of $10 per patty - to increase wages to those cooking them, all the way up the chain to the farmers who produce the beef and the feed for the cattle.

We should also force an increase in ammo prices to benefit the workers at the factories making it. They need an increase in their wages.

In fact, we should artificially prop up prices on all products so that people can make more money for making them.

Right?

We don't need or want anything to be inexpensive - we want to shell out more for it to increase wages - never mind that that increases all the costs across the board. lol

Gallon of milk, loaf of bread, pack of smokes, gallon of gas, case of beer, bucket of minnows, chicken fried steak dinner, bag of cement, kilowatt of electricity.... you're free to pay extra for any of those things should you wish to do so, out of the good of your heart, if you have so much extra to blow - just to increase the wages of the people who produce those items. Go ahead.

Wrong. You pay the premium so you can keep producing. Why? Because renewables, like the tooth fairy and easter bunny are figments of your fecking imagination.

Green energy? Only thing green is the cash exchanging hands. Solar? Laughable. Wind? Beyond the environmental issues at the turbine fields... ever wonder where all that aluminum comes from? Ever seen a bauxite mine? Makes a well casing failure look like a pimple.

To me, it sounds like you are just jealous of the pay. Roughnecks earn their money. They are out there long hours, in bad conditions. Go try chitting in a port-a-chitter in north dakota in the middle of winter. The engineers? Yeah, those are the guys finding the resources and advancing the technology. The CEOs? Well, there are a lot out there that do things like take cuts in salary just so they can try to keep from laying people off. And at that, what's so fecking wrong with making money? Again, it seems, since you are so hung up on other people's salaries,... you're just jealous.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Right?

Responding to the bold part. Most oil field related businesses don't pay high wages like most think they do.
The companies like the ones in Ponca City where you work pay regional wages. Manufacturing employees get 20 something an hour after serving their time from starting wage to top wage. It takes years to get to top wage. This is just the company my wife works for. Other company's in Ponca City are several dollars an hour lower for top wage for industries related to the oil patch. Nobody is getting rich.

The businesses in Ponca adjust their prices to those that can afford their services.

I'm constantly amazed when I see what lawn care services cost in OKC and Tulsa vs Ponca City. Its the adjustment for services.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno...do shipping/transpo companies hedge fuel costs like the airlines? Hedging doesn't always work out for the best. If they locked in to a $3 per gallon price for a decade, then it would make sense that a short term drop in fuel prices would have little to no effect on the prices of shipped goods.

This may be the case with a few select very large over the road trucking companies but don't think most are buying futures on diesel fuel. I work for a very large equipment rental company. We have in the ball park of 3000 tractor trailers used for delivery. These are generally short hauls of 10-50 miles round trip. Would guess each truck makes 10-15 deliveries and pickups 5 days a week 11 hours a day. The average cost for the company to make an average delivery is approx $107 each way. That's $214 round trip. At our company is is not about making a profit on delivery. We call it "delivery recovery". Trying our best to at least break even. Personally, my customers I deal, with directly are paying between $90-$100 each way for delivery. It is about at the top for what the market in my area will allow. Now imagine companies that deliver materials or a commodity. Manymof them drive similar tractor trailers and drive the same distance with similar pay and are only charging $50-$100 round trip. Most don't charge for the return trip as they already dropped their load and have to go back to their yard to get more material for the next delivery. Our trucks rarely have a dry run.

My point is with with a trucking company make local deliveries is almost a lost leader.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Right?

It's what happened in healthcare with Obamacare, other than we are being held hostage rather than out of the goodness of our hearts.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of older oil field folks as well that still haven't learned the cyclic nature of the oil patch.

There are some that recognized it and lived accordingly.
Thank you oil patch. :hey3:

Where is the blame on the oil companies, producers and employees for flooding the market and then complaining they've overshot the demand and prices are down? Are consumers supposed to pay extra to keep them in hog heaven producing to their hearts' content? Should we all build oil storage tanks in our back yards to store crude, buy it at high prices and store it so the companies can keep overproducing? I mean... should we purposely drive our cars hard so we get worse gas mileage, not to mention wear them out quicker and keep the mechanics in more work, and the dealerships in a glut by replacing what we wear out faster than we should? All in the name of stimulating oil or whatever other industry?

Or should we use our monetary savings from lower gas prices to spend in other areas, buying more electronics from our retailers, investing in our own retirements, starting more businesses, hiring more employees, etc.?

The money I'm NOT spending on gas is not simply going into my fireplace, folks... I'm sure those oilfield guys would have put it to good use, but I think other people in the economy (like FBT) are happy I have a little extra to spend with them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be the case with a few select very large over the road trucking companies but don't think most are buying futures on diesel fuel. I work for a very large equipment rental company. We have in the ball park of 3000 tractor trailers used for delivery. These are generally short hauls of 10-50 miles round trip. Would guess each truck makes 10-15 deliveries and pickups 5 days a week 11 hours a day. The average cost for the company to make an average delivery is approx $107 each way. That's $214 round trip. At our company is is not about making a profit on delivery. We call it "delivery recovery". Trying our best to at least break even. Personally, my customers I deal, with directly are paying between $90-$100 each way for delivery. It is about at the top for what the market in my area will allow. Now imagine companies that deliver materials or a commodity. Manymof them drive similar tractor trailers and drive the same distance with similar pay and are only charging $50-$100 round trip. Most don't charge for the return trip as they already dropped their load and have to go back to their yard to get more material for the next delivery. Our trucks rarely have a dry run.

My point is with with a trucking company make local deliveries is almost a lost leader.

Yes. Our Niece's dad does over the road trucking.

I have to drive by several truck stops on my way to the farm, and noticed a lot of trucks stop at one, and not the other on the other side of the road. I asked why.

He said that the big trucking companies bid for contracts to get better fuel prices. What you see on their marquee is for pickups. The over the road drivers don't pay the marquee price.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or should we use our monetary savings from lower gas prices to spend in other areas, buying more electronics from our retailers, investing in our own retirements, starting more businesses, hiring more employees, etc.?
Here again, a misunderstanding of economics. Oil continues to drop, your retirement, unless you are buying silver and hiding it under your mattress, wont be worth jack crap.

Also, US overproducing? Explain how the US was overproducing. I can't wait to hear this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom