I'm getting burned out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This truth right here. I'm on the periphery of the construction industry and interact with contractors everyday. Also, on several socail forums related to particular subjects in the construction industry. I can't tell you how often I see post from people wanting to build a nice big home or barno and can't for the life of them find a reliable general contractor or homeowners that are GCing the job themselves that can't get reliable subs to actually show up and complete a project when they say they will and with good quality craftsmanship. You do just one or two jobs and knock it out of the park and get several good recommendations you'll almost be able to name your price for any project.
I specialized in cabinetry for over 13 years. Installed for 10. I’m looking into starting my own cabinet business. We’ll see

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I specialized in cabinetry for over 13 years. Installed for 10. I’m looking into starting my own cabinet business. We’ll see
Obviously don't know you, your skills or current situation other than what you've mentioned here. If in your shoes and was 10-12 years younger (I'm 52) I'd put a plan in place and make it happen. Sometimes you gotta take a risk to make your dream work.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously don't know you, your skills or current situation other than what you've mentioned here. If in your shoes and was 10-12 years younger (I'm 52) I'd put a plan in place and make it happen. Sometimes you gotta take a risk to make your dream work.
I’m 37. I know I’m young enough. I may have to partner with someone. I have a family member with the resources and he’s already mentioned a potential partnership. We need to sit down and discuss what that would mean. But, I wanna do it. I’m tired of making other people money. Self employment is rewarding even though it’s exhausting

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 37. I know I’m young enough. I may have to partner with someone. I have a family member with the resources and he’s already mentioned a potential partnership. We need to sit down and discuss what that would mean. But, I wanna do it. I’m tired of making other people money. Self employment is rewarding even though it’s exhausting
The only ships that don't sail are partnerships.
And a family member at that? What could possibly go wrong?!
I'd recommend you as a solid owner with his investing and do profit shares.
If he were ever to default due to some life event, (divorce death, drugs, and a 100 more possibilities) your hung out to dry.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he were ever to default due to some life event, (divorce death, drugs, and a 100 more possibilities) your hung out to dry.
And ill add, profit share to a max payout that you 2 agree on based on his investment. Get it in a legal contract and open an S Corp to minimize taxes.
I wouldn't carry anyone on my payroll beyond an agreement amount for doing nothing

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that sentiment. I’m pretty sure that’s a Dave Ramsey quote? I’ll say this, I wouldn’t go into a partnership with someone I don’t trust 100%. That being said I think I could ONLY do family and there are only a select few. Because the person I’m thinking of I absolutely know he would be thinking about my well being and I would be thinking about his. Idk, I’m not entirely opposed.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And ill add, profit share to a max payout that you 2 agree on based on his investment. Get it in a legal contract and open an S Corp to minimize taxes.
I wouldn't carry anyone on my payroll beyond an agreement amount for doing nothing
Yeah when I had my business back in Oregon I had my cpa file all my docs to be an s-Corp for tax purposes. And yes, make everything legally binding. Not just a handshake. When we bought our last house from my parents we did the same thing. We had it appraised and we bought it at market value less realtor fees (no realtor). Split the cost of a notary for all documentation and what not.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HA! Try being a cop for 34 YEARS! You wanna talk about burnout, phuck me! :faint:

I'd retire yesterday if'n I could, but I gotta stick it out for 7 more years. Hell, I don't see me alive in 7 more years.

Like the great Mickey Mantle once said..."if I had known I would've lived this long, I would've taken better care of myself."

But yeah, I feel ya bro. :comfort:

You'll get there baby!! Just hang tight. 😘

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, if all you ever did was return phone calls and show your happy little butt up on the job site when you said you would, you'd have people beating down your door with work. It's amazing how many builders these days can't do either of those things consistently...or at all, in some cases.

This is the God's honest truth. I have a neighbor who runs his own crew. He is busier than a one-armed paperhanger. Because he does what he says he will and his guys show up ready to get it done.

I keep reminding him he's already promised me a slot next spring. I NEED a new kitchen, some fresh insulation and a covered, screened in patio. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom