I'm getting burned out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And honestly that’s the boat I’m in. I see fellas like you and a few others that are in retirement and you’re doing well because you were smart and saved. You were thinking about retirement. The company I work for is very much a retirement company. If I stick it out 20-25 years I should have a pretty good setup. But would I always be regretting not taking a chance and being my own boss? If I did take that chance would I be jeopardizing a sustainable lifestyle for my wife and kids? It’s a tough decision. I don’t want regrets and I don’t want to not make a decision because of fear. If all that makes sense 🤷‍♂️
Probably what I didn't do is to check into the local Votech. I had zero knowledge about how to run a business. Skills yes, business knowledge, zero. They have business training where you start up your business under their umbrella, they assist with the accounting, and so on for the employees you hire and then after a period of time, your kicked out and on your own.
Don't know all the details but do know our local Votech is highly involved in this.
If this was happening when I did the side hack, I would have seriously looked into it. I do know we have several local businesses that went through that program that are very successful now.
Now for the cabinet building business. We are good friends with the top realtor in Northern Ok. Probably in most of the state. We are looking at having an outdoor kitchen/recreation area built as well as some upgrade on the home. We got a list of contractors to look at and a list of those to avoid from her.
They get on the good list for showing up for work and doing the job, vs the other list that she will say to stay away from.
So, my advice is to do some research, find out who the top realtor is in your area after getting some jobs done and good reviews for past work to get hooked up for referrals from them.
Never forget that internet reviews can ruin your reputation and your personal business with one bad review.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably what I didn't do is to check into the local Votech. I had zero knowledge about how to run a business. Skills yes, business knowledge, zero. They have business training where you start up your business under their umbrella, they assist with the accounting, and so on for the employees you hire and then after a period of time, your kicked out and on your own.
Don't know all the details but do know our local Votech is highly involved in this.
If this was happening when I did the side hack, I would have seriously looked into it. I do know we have several local businesses that went through that program that are very successful now.
Now for the cabinet building business. We are good friends with the top realtor in Northern Ok. Probably in most of the state. We are looking at having an outdoor kitchen/recreation area built as well as some upgrade on the home. We got a list of contractors to look at and a list of those to avoid from her.
They get on the good list for showing up for work and doing the job, vs the other list that she will say to stay away from.
So, my advice is to do some research, find out who the top realtor is in your area after getting some jobs done and good reviews for past work to get hooked up for referrals from them.
Never forget that internet reviews can ruin your reputation and your personal business with one bad review.
Yessir. Honestly, starting out small the business side isn’t too complex. If time allows you as the owner can get accounting software like quickbooks, wave, etc and issue invoices, collect payments by yourself. The part I’m struggling with is do I just go into contracting as an installer again? I don’t know what kind of money I can make doing that here. I made extremely good money back in Oregon and I know I won’t make that here but could I make 75% of that here? If so I’d do it in a heartbeat. I think I need to swing by some job sites and talk to some people

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about everything viewed from 6 miles northwest of Walden Colorado was some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Of all the places in the world I have been, that is one of the top 3 places I think about seeing again on a regular basis. And do, every few years. Each of these pictures were taken within a 20 mile circle.

View attachment 419433View attachment 419434View attachment 419435View attachment 419436
Pull into Red Lodge MT, do some driving around up the pass and report back. Thats my favorite place to see. Too late this year, the pass is closed.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yessir. Honestly, starting out small the business side isn’t too complex. If time allows you as the owner can get accounting software like quickbooks, wave, etc and issue invoices, collect payments by yourself. The part I’m struggling with is do I just go into contracting as an installer again? I don’t know what kind of money I can make doing that here. I made extremely good money back in Oregon and I know I won’t make that here but could I make 75% of that here? If so I’d do it in a heartbeat. I think I need to swing by some job sites and talk to some people

To get started, talking with the established builders isn't likely to get you much. They have their cabinet makers and aren't likely to change.

Post ads with lots of pics, before and after. Go after the single, remodel jobs.
Word of mouth is best and worst friend.
Getting started is the hardest part.

Good luck. People are desperate to find a quality, responsible, honest contractor.

I was painting Mom's house had 6 people, driving down the street, stop and want bids.
Yesterday, I was installing a new porch light. Neighbor walked over and asked if I could put up a new light for her.

Do a few side jobs before quitting your regular job. You could be surprised how fast things move.

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it. I really do. The thing is this person I have a relationship with and see on a very regular basis. Our family is very close so the stakes are very high. I’m not taking the situation lightly I assure you
2 cents. I've been in business partnerships with family, they walked off and left us high and dry, and now we barely speak to them. Being in business with family will really test the strength of your relationship.

If you must be in business with family, take all the extra steps to be formal about business structure, obligations, input, and compensation. Also, formally vote for large decisions - feels silly, but the paper trail is gold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom