Inhofe and Coburn support SOPA & PIPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's so bad about sopa? Do we really need individuals to be able to freely express themselves and pass on information that the mass media isn't covering? This doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

And I'm sure the Fuhrer will make sure we have all the information we need.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOPA says that you can't post SOMEONE ELSE's copyright protected media. It is extreme, yes, but please learn what it says before going on the "MY RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED!!!1!!" binge...and yes, I'm against SOPA and PIPA...

We already have a law that says you can't post someone else's copyrighted material. What this bill says is that the government can gank an internet site that they deem to be distributing copyrighted material illegally. It circumvents due process, and gives the government more power than idiots who can't balance a checkbook deserve.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think you guys feel bad, my rep (Lamar Smith) basically wrote the darn thing.. Leave it to a darn Austinite.

List of places I know of off hand that are blacking out or pseudo-blacking out
Imgur
Reddit
Google
Craigslist
Wikipedia
The Oatmeal

Edit: Somehow I managed to subconsciously write those in order of increasing physical length. Freaky... :screwy:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's so bad about sopa? Do we really need individuals to be able to freely express themselves and pass on information that the mass media isn't covering? This doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

SOPA says that you can't post SOMEONE ELSE's copyright protected media. It is extreme, yes, but please learn what it says before going on the "MY RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED!!!1!!" binge...and yes, I'm against SOPA and PIPA...

Yes and there are already laws on the books designed to protect copyright infringement. You don't combat copyright infringement by violating somone's 1st Amendment rights without due process, which is what this bill does. If you slander me, I don't have the right to slap duct tape on your mouth, I take you to court. If you post my copyrighted material in your store, I don't get to padlock your store, I take you to court. If you libel me or post my copyrighted material on the internet, I don't get to have your DNS cut off or remove you from someone else's search engine, I TAKE YOU TO COURT!

That's how it's always worked and how it should continue to work. No one against this bill is for copyright infringement, we are against a bill that would violate the 1st Amendment of the Constitution! :disappoin

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Yes and there are already laws on the books designed to protect copyright infringement. You don't combat copyright infringement by violating somone's 1st Amendment rights without due process, which is what this bill does. If you slander me, I don't have the right to slap duct tape on your mouth, I take you to court. If you post my copyrighted material in your store, I don't get to padlock your store, I take you to court. If you libel me or post my copyrighted material on the internet, I don't get to have your DNS cut off or remove you from someone else's search engine, I TAKE YOU TO COURT!

That's how it's always worked and how it should continue to work. No one against this bill is for copyright infringement, we are against a bill that would violate the 1st Amendment of the Constitution! :disappoin

I know I'm not the only one to recognize the trend these days towards bypassing the courts to get what the .gov wants. Warrantless wiretaps first, in the name of terrorism. Then locking people up indefinitely without charge, in the name of terrorism. Then extending that ability to American citizens on American soil. Now pulling down any website some .gov agency deems copyrighted material based on the whims of large corporations without filing an injunction or obtaining any court order.

Nice direction we're headed in this country, eh?

Got all the ammo you need? :D

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It also says that you can be held liable if someone else posts someone else's copyright protected media on your website. Right now, much of that is allowed through Fair Use. SOPA/PIPA would completely eliminate Fair Use on the Internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom