Inhofe and Coburn support SOPA & PIPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't combat copyright infringement by violating somone's 1st Amendment rights without due process, which is what this bill does. If you slander me, I don't have the right to slap duct tape on your mouth, I take you to court. If you post my copyrighted material in your store, I don't get to padlock your store, I take you to court. If you libel me or post my copyrighted material on the internet, I don't get to have your DNS cut off or remove you from someone else's search engine, I TAKE YOU TO COURT!

Certain courts now allow the plaintiff to post your domain name on an obscure website and count that as being "served". There was a recent case about this involving (I believe) counterfeit Coach purses. The only evidence used to get the court order for the domains to be redirected to the plaintiff's domain and the domains transferred to a court-controlled account at GoDaddy was a plaintiff-owned team of "experts" purchase the item in question and then tell the court that they believe it to be counterfeit.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The entire reason these bills even exist is to control the flow of information and to curb and stifle dissent, period. The popular reasons the bills exist are not for those reasons at all. Government can't control an informed populace as easily.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information guys. It looks like traditional media should be supporting these bills as well due to their claims on people violating copyright by transferring news stories in full on forums etc... they might mouth differently in news stories, but their money and lobbying efforts will prove otherwise.

The bad part for us is that they have things in this that will appeal to big business, big media and big government. The little guy gets screwed.

Open the camp JB... it's time.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And people wonder why I no longer VOTE for anyone. They make you promises but deliver butthurt. Chase the carrot fools...

Ugh... more of the same dutch... really? C'mon and vote and at least TRY to effect things. If you're going to live in a hole, nobody is going to begrudge you, but calling those who wish to influence their world "fools" is a bit much. :ugh2:

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ugh... more of the same dutch... really? C'mon and vote and at least TRY to effect things. If you're going to live in a hole, nobody is going to begrudge you, but calling those who wish to influence their world "fools" is a bit much. :ugh2:

I don't live in a hole. I'm out in the daylight watching all that goes on. If you want to influence politics, either don't do anything or do something with tar and feathers. Voting is nothing but cheap talk. I asked my former father-in-law back in '85 why he didn't vote. His reply, "Will it change anything?" Back then I was an idealist and voted hoping for change. Change never has come and never will come. We live in a society that has embraced the police state and entitlement mentality. Expecting a different result each time the polls open only to get the same butthurt is a textbook example of insanity. Only fools repeat the same mistake twice. I stand by my statement.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't live in a hole. I'm out in the daylight watching all that goes on. If you want to influence politics, either don't do anything or do something with tar and feathers. Voting is nothing but cheap talk. I asked my former father-in-law back in '85 why he didn't vote. His reply, "Will it change anything?" Back then I was an idealist and voted hoping for change. Change never has come and never will come. We live in a society that has embraced the police state and entitlement mentality. Expecting a different result each time the polls open only to get the same butthurt is a textbook example of insanity. Only fools repeat the same mistake twice. I stand by my statement.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you want and this great country has a long standing tradition of you being able to express that opinion. Go ahead, make your case for not voting all you want.

But that doesn't mean it's right to call people who DO vote fools...

Latest posts

Top Bottom