Internet Tire Purchasing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you had experience purchasing tires on the internet? If so, was it a good or bad experience? Much cheaper or not? Did you have any issues finding someone to mount and balance them? I'm in KC so any recommendations on where to take them in Oklahoma won't be useful, but just wondering how receptive local places were to you bringing in your own tires.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
First thing to remember is to add the cost of mount and balancing and shipping. I found doing that usually made prices more comparable, since some tire places include it in their price.

Other thing I've found is that road hazard can be a pain, even if it's included, when buying tires online.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned a Infiniti a few years ago that wore an odd sized tire that no one had in stock locally. I bought a new set from the Tire Rack and had them mounted and balanced at wal-mart without any complaints.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found it was easier to search a major chains sight and then go down and have them order the tires. No shipping, and they will road hazzard them. Got a set of 60,000 mile ECO rated tires for my truck at 125.00 each plus a couple fees and tax, ended up cheaper with a better mileage warranty than their 45,000 mile tires.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What I've found on price, is that it depends on whether or not it's a "common" size. The last tires I bought for my car were 235/45r17; very common. Wasn't much cheaper online vs in-store.

My new SUV has a staggered set of
Front: 275/40-20
Rear: 315/35-20

they might be a lot cheaper online.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always buy 4 tire sets on line. Maybe in a metro area you can find a local price as good but not here in the sticks. I like Discount Tire Direct better than Tire Rack because of their free shipping. They both have lists of local approved shops with posted charges for mount and balance. They will also ship direct to the shop or to your home. They don't always carry the same brands but they both have a large choice in all sizes.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always buy online. I always get much better deals online. Not even close. Buying, or attempting to buy local has always left me with a bad taste in my mouth - I don't know if they intentionally try to gouge me, or if their prices are really that ridiculous, or if I'm supposed to try to haggle with them or what.

Either way, paying 50% to 200% more for equivalent or lesser tires locally isn't worth it to me. I always buy online. Yeah... not a typo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom