is it just me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe i'm old fashion or just old,but it seems to me none of the recent crop of handguns on the market(last 20 years or so) have any class or elegance to them. like a pinned and recessed s&w or a colt python or even a brownig hipower.

i know most folks don't want to carry a round gun in a spring loaded society. but I miss when your carry piece was a thing of beauty and not just a tool.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean, especially when it comes to .22 pistols. The walther P22 (I know I'm picking on it, but it's the only newer 22 pistol I have shot) is one of the biggest pieces of trash, when you compare it to the Browning .22's that were made by FN such as the Nomad, Challenger (there's another or two) the early Highstandards such as Model 101 and 102, even some of the 103's aren't bad. Or the 2nd Generation Colt Woodsmans, or the 1st or 2nd Gen S&W 41's.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the last elegant design put into production is the S&W Model 41. There are lots of sexy, racy, and downright beautiful guns being made these days, but most of them are variants of a long standing design (1911, etc.).

These days, elegant is no longer as important as function and ergronomics. We live in an ISO 9001, CNC, EDM, world. Outside the one man custom shop guns, I doubt we'll see a new design that is truly elegant for a long time, if ever. :(

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe i'm old fashion or just old,but it seems to me none of the recent crop of handguns on the market(last 20 years or so) have any class or elegance to them. like a pinned and recessed s&w or a colt python or even a brownig hipower.

i know most folks don't want to carry a round gun in a spring loaded society. but I miss when your carry piece was a thing of beauty and not just a tool.

Not trying to be argumentative but I think this is an absolute falacy. The guns of today are equal or better in quality than those of 20 years ago, but if you want one that looks nice you have to pay for it. 20 years ago there was no such thing as glock, which revolutionized handguns and brought on all of todays polymer frame pistols. Their price point and dependability contributes to their popularity, which is why you see so many of them. Although I agree that they may not be that pretty (any polymer frame gun) the fact of the matter is that they are WAY less expensive than a 1911 of any real quality, and are generally more popular than wheel guns because of capacity.

If the way a gun looks is important to you, you can very easily get a BEUTIFUL carry peice, but these days the labor it takes to make a gun pretty is worth as much or more than the price of a base model gun. Basically what Im saying is you can get one as pretty as you like, but be prepared to open your wallet

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many "new designs" have we really seen in the past 20 years? Guns evolve VERY slowly. When manufacturers find something the public likes they stick with it for a really long time and we keep buying them and accessorizing them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom