is it just me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own any Ruger pistols, but I think in the past few years they have done a good job of trying to make some good looking guns. They look well proportioned, aren't smothers in grip serrations, and have small subtle design elements to them.

awww.ruger_firearms.com_products_lcr_images_5401.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Compared to Glocks or XD's that are function before form, and their idea of elegant design is to add additional and more aggressive looking grip serrations.

awww.defensereview.com_springfieldarmory_Springfield_20Armory_20XD_20.45_20GAP_20Pistol_5.jpg

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't love the plastic....I know they work great, and I even keep one in the car. After all, I know it won't care about temp changes and if it gets a little scuffed...so what?

One thing I've noticed is that NOBODY does a good blue job anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw a newly made blued pistol with nice walnut grips that was actually "blue" instead of a more "black laquer" finish.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that NOBODY does a good blue job anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw a newly made blued pistol with nice walnut grips that was actually "blue" instead of a more "black laquer" finish.

It's all in the name of profit! Those nice blue jobs of yesteryear started with a worker who KNEW how to polish! Takes less skill to apply a coating, maybe by automation at that. Remember when Remington made a good rifle barrel, now they're just 'copper collectors', they lost all their lapping tools I guess. The firearms of the past were made by SKILLED labor, ya' had to know something. If you haven't noticed, manufacturing has all but left this country completely, labor is too expensive here for those only interested in profit. At a time, not that long ago, we, as Americans, made the finest products on earth and the rest of the world wanted those products. Now, look at us! :scream:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own any Ruger pistols, but I think in the past few years they have done a good job of trying to make some good looking guns. They look well proportioned, aren't smothers in grip serrations, and have small subtle design elements to them.

awww.ruger_firearms.com_products_lcr_images_5401.jpg

I carry a plastic gun for a living (2nd gen Glock 22) but I'll be DAMNED if I'll ever own a plastic revolver. :disappoin

I do own a pair of aluminum ones (S&W J frame model 38 and Colt Cobra) but I'll NEVER own a plastic wheelgun. :hellno:

Some things are just sacred and better off left alone. :nono1:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's all in the name of profit! Those nice blue jobs of yesteryear started with a worker who KNEW how to polish! Takes less skill to apply a coating, maybe by automation at that. Remember when Remington made a good rifle barrel, now they're just 'copper collectors', they lost all their lapping tools I guess. The firearms of the past were made by SKILLED labor, ya' had to know something. If you haven't noticed, manufacturing has all but left this country completely, labor is too expensive here for those only interested in profit. At a time, not that long ago, we, as Americans, made the finest products on earth and the rest of the world wanted those products. Now, look at us! :scream:

So true, and so sad!!!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So true, and so sad!!!

Yeah...it's true. The days of the older gentleman, sitting at his workbench with a leather apron on, building irons ONE AT A TIME is a thing of the past.

I wish Norman Rockwell woulda done a painting of that.

[Broken External Image]

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3272_2570999005_eca378c358.jpg

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3172_2592873266_dbf8a46b3c.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom