is it just me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
maybe i'm old fashion or just old,but it seems to me none of the recent crop of handguns on the market(last 20 years or so) have any class or elegance to them. like a pinned and recessed s&w or a colt python or even a brownig hipower.

i know most folks don't want to carry a round gun in a spring loaded society. but I miss when your carry piece was a thing of beauty and not just a tool.

You probably never will see such again. If you look at your history as firearms go, the greats such as John Browning, Carl Walther, Mauser, and such have been long gone, yet their creations, and patented items are still with us in almost every design of semi an fullauto firearms that we have today. As for revolvers, even though Ruger produces some very strong and functional revolvers, there are only two great revolver companies, Colt which is now dead as far as revolvers are concerned, and Smith&Wesson which will probably never produce the greats we all love. I feel we will never see the likes of Browning, Sam Colt, Carl Walther, or the Mauser brothers ever again. This is one of the reason I have older guns, so I can enjoy the past. Most of these never even heard of a computer, much less CNC, these were handcrafted firearms. They may have been made on a production line, but still had to be hand fitted with a labor of love, not just thrown together from CNC an put on the shelf for sale.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the last elegant design put into production is the S&W Model 41. There are lots of sexy, racy, and downright beautiful guns being made these days, but most of them are variants of a long standing design (1911, etc.).

These days, elegant is no longer as important as function and ergronomics. We live in an ISO 9001, CNC, EDM, world. Outside the one man custom shop guns, I doubt we'll see a new design that is truly elegant for a long time, if ever. :(

I agree with this. It would be nice to have a functional and stylish (did I just say stylish??..haha) gun, but if I was given a choice, give me function. Give me STOPPING power or give me death!

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You probably never will see such again. If you look at your history as firearms go, the greats such as John Browning, Carl Walther, Mauser, and such have been long gone, yet their creations, and patented items are still with us in almost every design of semi an fullauto firearms that we have today. As for revolvers, even though Ruger produces some very strong and functional revolvers, there are only two great revolver companies, Colt which is now dead as far as revolvers are concerned, and Smith&Wesson which will probably never produce the greats we all love. I feel we will never see the likes of Browning, Sam Colt, Carl Walther, or the Mauser brothers ever again. This is one of the reason I have older guns, so I can enjoy the past. Most of these never even heard of a computer, much less CNC, these were handcrafted firearms. They may have been made on a production line, but still had to be hand fitted with a labor of love, not just thrown together from CNC an put on the shelf for sale.
your thread about your colt detective special is what got me thinking about this. my grandfather owned a grocery store in plainview tx and he carried a det. special with hand carved ivory grips that i would have given my eye teeth for. when he died his wife gave it to his drug addict stepson who used it to rob a laundry mat and it was kept as evidence and then destroyed. i would have given him 5 times what he got in the robbery for it

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
your thread about your colt detective special is what got me thinking about this. my grandfather owned a grocery store in plainview tx and he carried a det. special with hand carved ivory grips that i would have given my eye teeth for. when he died his wife gave it to his drug addict stepson who used it to rob a laundry mat and it was kept as evidence and then destroyed. i would have given him 5 times what he got in the robbery for it

I only own two plastic guns, both Rugers, and they both work, but there is no real love for either, and they don't got to the range to often. In my gun case you'll see steel and wood, except for a few wheel guns that have rubber(soon to be replaced)grips. I have tried Glocks, and they are not for me. I like the weight and feel of steel. Granted some of my semiauto's have alloy frames, but they still show class unlike the plastic fantastic's out there. My next major handgun purchase(I'm saving my pennies as we speak) is a SIG P210. Same goes for my rifles, except for a Ruger Mini-14, and a 10/22 which are my most modern rifles, everything else is steel and wood. I carried an M16 of one type or another for over 20yrs, always making expert with it, but would have loved for someone to hand me an M14 instead.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

:cry11::bighug:

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

The world has made it MUCH harder for new fireams inovations like those men, listed above, accomplished. The things that Colt, Browning, and Paul Mauser thought up, as individuals, are now accomplished at the corporate/industrial level. We live in a very different time. As 07 (manufacturer) license holder and small business owner I find the world (read insurance co.) very hard to deal with. The cost of insurance would floor most, and, as such, I limit what I do. No, I don't make barrels, No, I don't make receivers or frames, No, I don't make my own muzzle breaks, and No, I don't even open the bolt face on a classic Mauser to magnum dimentions. Any of the above drives the cost of insurance beyond affordability. They, the insurance co., even frowned a bit at the work I do (threading ,chambering,headspacing a barrel, threading SG barrels for choke tubes) even with all the certifications I have. I'd have to sell hundreds or , maybe , thousands to fustify the costs. And there seem to be fewer and fewer willing to spend for that something real special. That hand work/fitting costs because there are fewer and fewer who know and understand it. Not quite like putting together an AR-15. Most stuff looks as though it came from a cookie cutter! Not saying it doesn't work or isn't reliable, just mass produced (and many times ugly!). Firearms design and production back in the day was at the forefront of the industrial revolution. Like I tell some of my customers, 'The things (not just firearms) that our grandparents and parents made were ment to last a life time and many of those things have and longer! But, most things just are not made that way today'. I guess I'll just have to be happy rebuilding the lock work of a fine old double or making a beautiful wood handle every now and again.( I had an older gent explain to me why his L.C. Smith was so good, "because it was hand fitted". I replied, 'any thing that worked like it was supposed to, that was made when your L.C. Smith was made, was hand fitted!')

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your guns fit your synthetic personality

Is that why I wander the gun show's looking for a old swedish mauser in 6.5x55 that my loser brother sold?? and every time I see an add for 6.5x55 I look at it!!! Gosh Id love to have that thing back!! It and severl other's!!!

Like my uncles Luger!!!!!!! that the doper cousin of mine sold!! Id gave him twice what he got for it and I bet our buddy Randy got it!!

And just FYI I still have my Ruger Redhawk!! its never going away..

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that why I wander the gun show's looking for a old swedish mauser in 6.5x55 that my loser brother sold?? and every time I see an add for 6.5x55 I look at it!!! Gosh Id love to have that thing back!! It and severl other's!!!

Like my uncles Luger!!!!!!! that the doper cousin of mine sold!! Id gave him twice what he got for it and I bet our buddy Randy got it!!

And just FYI I still have my Ruger Redhawk!! its never going away..

I want one too! I bought that Swede sporter off the board a couple of weeks ago and would very much like to have an original.

Latest posts

Top Bottom