Lending A Hand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the honor of going down to Moore with one of my church's response teams to assist with cleanup. My team was assigned to help out a young couple and their neighbor.

We arrived Friday morning. The damage pattern was similar to the '99 tornado, which I covered as a photographer for the Tulsa World. There would be signs of roof damage and within a block more and more severe damage until you got to ground zero where houses were completely destroyed and vehicles were tossed around like Hot Wheels toys.

It was back-breaking work, but it felt great to help people out. Tyson Food and the Salvation Army came by and fed us. We even had a CVS team swing by to give free tetanus shoots.

We came across one young lady who had lost everything. The only thing she wanted to find was her grandmother's jewelry box. Her house and brand new Camaro were flattened. Then, minutes later, she found it. It was awesome.

While the rest of the crew were taking a well-deserved break, I came across an elderly Vietnam War veteran and helped him gather his salvageable belongings into his pickup. He told me, as he was fighting back tears, the only thing he wanted to find was his cat, Leroy Brown. He had found him following the '99 tornado. He said he'd give anything to find his cat.

We did what we could, but it's going to take months to clean up this disaster. It's just hard to fathom the force that could do this kind of destruction. And, having been there, I was amazed and thankful that no more than 24 lives were taken. If this had happened 50 years ago, the toll would have been in the thousands.

Onslow, one of our OSA brothers, was generous enough to loan me, not one, but TWO Stihl chainsaws, gas, oil, tools, eyes, ears, etc. He was a true blessing for our group. Thank you again, Tim. You're awesome!

I've included some photos I took from Friday's mission.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369538954.935128.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369539027.443582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369539160.479695.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369539180.241203.jpg

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Praying that VN vet finds his cat. It may not seem like much but to some people their pet is worth more than gold. For some people their pet is their only connection to a life outside their own.

Onslow

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad it worked out Steve and glad I could help.
Thank you for helping out.
I figured it was the least I could do when you said in another thread you were thinking about buying a chainsaw to help out tornado victims.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran the disaster center at Bridge Creek during the My 3, '99 disaster recovery. Salvation Army was THE number one agency out there helping victims with fool, water and necessities. We had a mens church group from South Carolina who brought in a field kitchen and fed workers and victims during the whole time. All my donations go to Salvation Army, very little of what they collect goes to overhead unlike Red Cross and some others. Another group who did massive amounts of work on recovery were the Mormons.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are lucky to get a few helpers down on the west end of 149th. The guys and gals who found us to help drag scrap to the curb have been wonderful.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our church's Impact Team leader spoke before our service yesterday. It sounds like the need for supplies(food, water, shovels, gloves, etc) is dwarfed by the need for labor. It can be as simple as helping go through someone's house and helping them locate what was lost. Something that didn't mean anything can now have a huge impact on the individual if recovered.

Our church has a team in Moore today working as well as Little Axe. We spent the afternoon yesterday working in Bethal Acres at the home of an elderly couple retarping their roof and clearing fallen trees and other debris on the property. Its areas like this that need to be remembered. They are to easily forgotten by the damage in Moore. Although equally in need of help. Getting people to the smaller communities is a need that can go unanswered.

If you are of able body and can get out and help do it. The payoff is seeing the appreciation from the individuals impacted.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my son mentioned today he would like to help, & some of his high school friends, where can we get info to send him & his buddies.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read an FB post, just park in a big lot north of the path, like Lowe's or HD, and then just walk on in to the area. They'll run across someone that needs help in some form.

I went out toward Shawnee Friday and ran my chainsaw for a little while. Worked with several guys that drove in from Bakersfield CA, going to be here all week. Crazy.

MFCEO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I did the same yesterday with out church. It was a surreal feeling.

Once the families decide they got everything they can salvage, I dont think it will take long for crews to clear areas.

Thanks for helping

Latest posts

Top Bottom