LEO question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
actually as an officer at a smaller pd, your job is not easier. Large pd's such as okc have more detective's to handle a more variety of crimes. At smaller pd's, officer's have to do most of the investigating themselves. I know, i work for a dept. That only has 50 officers. Tulsa for instance has 700-800 officers. They have street crimes, homicide, fraud, vehicle theft, narcotics among other types of detectives....just sayin'. I would say smaller pd's are harder to get hired on because they just don't hire all that often and when they do it is usually 1-2 officers instead of 50....

So argyle, which agency do you work for?

fbop.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should not have said easier. Perhaps, job doesn't suck as bad as often. Smaller PD's in smaller towns typically don't have the level of crime that bigger cities do so the likelihood of ending up in a situation where your life is on the line is lower. There are many more police who have worked in small departments who have never had to draw their gun in the line of duty than those in large cities. I'd bet you'd have a tough time meeting an OKC or Tulsa PD officer with more than 10 years in who could say that.

The politics in smaller towns is... ahem... closer.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the wife of an OHP Trooper, here is another vote for finding something else to do. Being in law enforcement today is nothing like being in law enforcement even 10 years ago. Granted, I can't imagine GC doing anything else but man, oh man, I wish he would.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be a firefighter.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you just feel the overwhelming urge to help folks, you might look at this. Better pay than police work, everybody seems to like firefighters. They seem glad to help "fill the boot" when that time comes. No one seems to like the cop who took their mommy or daddy to jail, gave them a deserved speeding ticket, impounded their car for a DUI, or otherwise inconvenienced them somehow. As far as I know, firefighters don't have to go to court on their days off either. Did I mention they get paid better on average?
If you can get on with a bigger PD somewhere, at least the salary should be better. Small towns don't pay crap for their police.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love what I do. That being said there are times of very high stress. If you need someone to "appreciate" what you do, more times then not, then being a LEO is not for you. I learn something new everyday. Oh and the paperwork, there is a lot of it.

I recommend that you try to do "ride a longs" with the agencies that you are considering. Each agency is different in its own way.

Yellow109r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was really interested in joining, I have always wanted to be in LE but I ended up going to college and now work at Tinker AFB, but heck I didn't realize you guys get paid so little
Heck I make close to $70,000 a year I guess I will just stick it out I just am getting bored with it but heck I guess all jobs get that way.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was really interested in joining, I have always wanted to be in LE but I ended up going to college and now work at Tinker AFB, but heck I didn't realize you guys get paid so little
Heck I make close to $70,000 a year I guess I will just stick it out I just am getting bored with it but heck I guess all jobs get that way.

Last year I think I made around $23 - $25K at ONE of my jobs and maybe 10 grand at the other.

Yes, as a cop, you gotta have more than one job to buy those stupid things like food, water, electricity, :blahblah:

I've done this silly job for 23 years. It's not fun anymore. It's a job now just like yours. I know you don't know a man's troubles until you walk in their shoes, but damn, I think I could tolerate the boredom and ******** of your job for $70K! :ugh2:

If you just wanna have some coply "fun" become a reserve for OCPD or OCSO, but for the love of God, don't toss a job that pays $70K just because you are bored. :slap:

Latest posts

Top Bottom