LEO question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are not required to have an AR15, and 6K is really high. I'm full time at OCSO and when it was time to buy a new belt I went on Ebay and bought everything but my holster for $50. When I went through as a reserve in 2000 I spent around $2,300 for everything but the cost of ammo was a lot cheaper then. Just go out and buy the minimum. There are also other departments out there that will supply you your own equipment.

It was made clear to me that an AR would be a requirement for OSCO. It's not required day 1, but atleast by the time you qualify after a year or so. Would have to pay for the uniform, buy belts, holsters, cuffs, ect. A lot of the newer recruits verified that when I asked them about it, so maybe things changed in the last year or so?

The AR wouldn't be that much of a problem for me. I have a couple and really would just need to buy a Glock 22 and another shotgun, since I wouldn't want to use Benelli I have at home for duty. And it's really not that I can't afford it, I just have issues with having to supply 100% of the equipment on my own dime when I'm already investing 6 months of training and volunteering 20-30 hours of work for free. In the end, even spending potentially a minimum of $2k is a bit much for someone not looking to go career in LE.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my job, if it is for you go for it...I would seriously suggest going on some ride along's before you decide. Don't let the talk of low pay scare you....I make about 55000 a year with my wife Who works for OSBI we did pretty good for ourselves. Stillwater is getting ready to hire. I would tell you to only look at medium to large departments 50+ officers you will find that you will enjoy it alot more than smaller departments.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was made clear to me that an AR would be a requirement for OSCO. It's not required day 1, but atleast by the time you qualify after a year or so. Would have to pay for the uniform, buy belts, holsters, cuffs, ect. A lot of the newer recruits verified that when I asked them about it, so maybe things changed in the last year or so?

The AR wouldn't be that much of a problem for me. I have a couple and really would just need to buy a Glock 22 and another shotgun, since I wouldn't want to use Benelli I have at home for duty. And it's really not that I can't afford it, I just have issues with having to supply 100% of the equipment on my own dime when I'm already investing 6 months of training and volunteering 20-30 hours of work for free. In the end, even spending potentially a minimum of $2k is a bit much for someone not looking to go career in LE.

Not all departments require this...My department provides uniform, uniform cleaning alowance, AR-15, Glock, Duty belt, ect... The only think I pay for out of pocket is my boots.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most agencies also participate in OLERS retirement system. It is the sate pension system. At time of retirement I will have a decent amount of money coming back to me. I also participate in a 425 investing plan through the FOP. When I retire there should be a significant amount of money in that account so I can actually retire and do something. I highly suggest that if you get into Law Enforcement that you have multiple plans for retirement, don't just count on your Pension.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all departments require this...My department provides uniform, uniform cleaning alowance, AR-15, Glock, Duty belt, ect... The only think I pay for out of pocket is my boots.
Are you in the Logan County Sheriff's department? If so, kick Pete in the nuts for me. If you know Pete, he's the guy that has arms the size of most people's waists....

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay isn't that bad. At most larger agencies you'll start out around 40k. Those agencies usually provide you with equipment and a little money every year for uniforms, etc. You will also have the opportunity to work OT and there are plenty of second jobs for police officers, so you will really dictate how much you make by how much you want to work. Benefits are pretty good and the retirement plan for municipal departments in OK is in good shape, although you should supplement your pension with some type of deferred comp plan.

Now to the bad. You've got shift work, so you're not going to see your family much, at least for awhile. You deal with some of the worst people of society...and most people, including the good ones, don't like you very much. So if you want to be a hero, join the fire department ;). There's a lot of stress, a lot of injuries, etc. The job is a ton of fun...at least for awhile. Eventually that will wear off, so make sure you REALLY want to do this before you dive in. It's not like TV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom