LEO question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An AR-15 is not required for OCSO reserves. Heck, you can borrow a Remington 870/1187 for firearms qualification. You only need to OWN your AR-15 if you intend to attend Patrol Rifle School. You must attend Patrol Rifle School in order to carry your rifle on duty.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am on the fence about joining the reserves here in Coweta. The reserve coordinator keeps telling my wife to make me do it (she is a dispatcher up there). I have always wanted to do LEO but it just never worked out. Now i'm in too good of a job to give up. I figure I can go in when the wife is off for a few hours on the weekends and help out a little bit. How does CLEET work for reserves? Isn't it a different certification than going through Ada?

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am on the fence about joining the reserves here in Coweta. The reserve coordinator keeps telling my wife to make me do it (she is a dispatcher up there). I have always wanted to do LEO but it just never worked out. Now i'm in too good of a job to give up. I figure I can go in when the wife is off for a few hours on the weekends and help out a little bit. How does CLEET work for reserves? Isn't it a different certification than going through Ada?

You will have to go through a shorter Reserve academy that is usually hosted by a Sheriff's Office or Police Department but they seem to be few and far between. CLEET advertises them on their website as to when an agency is hosting one, I believe.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horrible job, the risk of injury, liability, and horrible pay would keep me away. It seems, like any .gov job, there really isn't a chance for advancement or to be able to "break out" like there is in the professional private sector. I'm glad that there are people who enjoy it, but I don't think I would enjoy the long hours, being broke, or getting shot at.

Leadfarmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being a police officer has its up's and down's just like any other job. But it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life. Its definitly something that you need to have a passion for, because it doesnt pay very well. But if you love it, it's like you're not even working at all : )
-4 1/2 years at a small pd.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the Ponca City PD still has openings. It's a great PD for a small town. I don't know anything about the pay and benefits. We have four rookies training at CLEET now. Cheaper cost of living is cheaper than a big city and backup is only 3 minutes away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom