May need a place to stay; Landlord threatening eviction for asking for repairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel for renters and prospective home buyer. I predict that with rising interest rates and people purchasing homes they won’t be able to afford after this recession kicks in full blast, there may be some foreclosures coming. I’m also hearing rumbles of there being to many houses on the market in the near future.
With the amount of construction going on around NW OKC, Deer Creek, and Piedmont areas, there has to be a correction at some point. We moved out here about 5 years ago and I would venture to guess at least a dozen neighborhoods of at least 125-150 houses each have been completed in that time with a new one being started at least once every couple of months.

It feels like Frisco/Plano in the early 2000s out here and we regret not buying land a little closer to Cashion.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Are you talking about me wanting a late fee?

I am just stating his landlord should like it when he gets paid more.
Maybe the OP does not pay a late fee if he is late.

Now I will ramble on about me collecting a late fee.
First time and second time the renter is late I collect the late fee.

UNLESS there is a legit reason.
I have had some change banks and the money had a 3 day hold and caused them to be late.
I get that and I did not charge them a late fee.

There have been dozens of times a renter had a good reason and if they contact me before rent is due and tell me the reason I do not charge a late fee.

Now the first 2 times as a new renter I charge it just to let them realize this 10% thing can and will happen so get your ducks in a row.

Current renter in Moore has been taking care of his dying mother and is very short on funds.
I have not charged him a late fee because of that.
I know it is hard and his funds are all messed up and must wait until his check on the 15th comes in.
since i moved in years ago, in fact BEFORE i moved in, i discussed that paying rent on the first friday of the month works best. He was fine with this; he has ALWAYS been fine with this.
in fact, i have group texts that HE sent everyone who was "late". i know for a fact that a dozen or more people either pay later than me or just don't pay. to my knowledge, none of them have been evicted or threatened with eviction.

he clearly got pissed i called him out on neglecting repairs. and his response of "well you should have told me MORE" is BS because if i texted him every day about it.....well he'd be pissed off and threaten to kick me out, wouldn't he?

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What you have is a slum lord.

He wants you out so he can charge more for the rent would be my guess.

Time for you to buy your own place, if you can. I mean you have already dumped $30,000 into someone elses pocket.

Not putting you down or anything like that.

I hope everything works out for you but I would bail out if it were me.
can't buy a house if you aren't a minority! they hate small business owners who don't finance stuff! but they'll sell one to a "family" without bank accounts in a heart beat.....

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if he has been ok with when you pay the rent, if you go to court it will be come down to the lease. Even if your lease is complete and you go month to month, it still applies I believe. Lots of these land lords are real low life money grubbers. Having worked for several and known of others, you really have to be careful because many seem to view their renters as not much more than cattle. I’ve seen land lords worth millions refuse to fix important things that are a few hundred dollars. They seem to get worse as the years go on.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can't buy a house if you aren't a minority! they hate small business owners who don't finance stuff! but they'll sell one to a "family" without bank accounts in a heart beat.....
Bud I'm what you would probably call a minority half White/ half Mexican. I planned and worked my ass off and I retired at 34 that being said I've ran a small business. **** I had to play the game credit game it sucks. If I can help pm me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s why folks shouldn’t rent. Buy a home and put money into your own pocket. The number one way to build wealth is owning your own home. I get everyone’s situation is different, but renting should always be a temporary situation, not a long term one.

Can't second this enough.

This man is obviously looking to kick you out, you're not going to win this. He's betting you won't pursue legal means. Even if you win this, why would you want to stay?

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
went by his office today after telling him last night i wanted to talk with him.

he wasn't there and hadn't been in all morning. he's ducking me.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't second this enough.

This man is obviously looking to kick you out, you're not going to win this. He's betting you won't pursue legal means. Even if you win this, why would you want to stay?
It’s true. Once it gets to this point I doubt he’s going to all of the sudden going to be fair and smooth things over. You gotta be smart about it right now. He could very easily stick you with a legal hassle if he says you owe for things once you’re gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom