Moms flip out over tweet telling them to send their kids to school on time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I told her I worked downtown, we lived too close for the boys to ride the bus, but far enough away and in a rough enough neighborhood I was not comfortable with them walking (Tulakes Elementary -- you guys who know KNOW) she told me maybe I should quit working and go on public assistance.
My dad's house was right across the street. Why he invested so much money in that place is beyond me. There are some decent homes in there, and when my step-mom sold it she got taken by her agent who just wanted a quick sale. She showed her a bunch of comps. I told her agent "there are no comps, this house is far and away better than anything around here". Anyway, I was trying to get dad to sell long before he died. I don't think he believed he could get his money back, his house was immaculate and quite desirable.

I figured all the nonsense in those apartment complexes would eventually overrun the whole area. Lyrewood Lane was in the news about weekly it seemed. Many a kid has been led astray right up the street towards Wilshire. :nolike:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad's house was right across the street. Why he invested so much money in that place is beyond me. There are some decent homes in there, and when my step-mom sold it she got taken by her agent who just wanted a quick sale. She showed her a bunch of comps. I told her agent "there are no comps, this house is far and away better than anything around here". Anyway, I was trying to get dad to sell long before he died. I don't think he believed he could get his money back, his house was immaculate and quite desirable.

I figured all the nonsense in those apartment complexes would eventually overrun the whole area. Lyrewood Lane was in the news about weekly it seemed. Many a kid has been led astray right up the street towards Wilshire. :nolike:

Yep. We lived in a townhouse right off Wilshire and Lyrewood. I wound up in this house because of a perfect storm -- my deadbeat boyfriend told me and I quote "You will NEVER be able to buy a house without my help." Then the principle at Tulakes did her thing. Finally, a kid of color showed up at my front door one evening to tell me he needed to be paid to make sure my townhouse didn't get broken into while I was at work. He was all of 9, maybe 10. That poor kid was white as the driven snow after I got done with him.

A couple of days after that my middle son came home and said "Hey, mom, what did you say to Elrod (not his real name)? He said to ask you if he can walk home from school and stay with us until you get home because the 6th graders are trying to shake him down for money." Lol I was reluctant to get involved but I went down to his house (which was WAY closer to the school than we were) and chatted with her a bit. She was a really nice lady. Elrod started walking home to my townhouse with the boys and they all did their homework and played video games until I got home and then I took Elrod home.

The 6th graders followed the boys home one afternoon. When they banged on the door, my deadbeat boyfriend (one of the few times I was glad he was a deadbeat lol) who looked exactly like he could have been a member of the Sons opened the door. Boys said he had JUST gotten out of bed so his hair was wild as ****, he had on a pair of jeans and his boots, but no shirt and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. 😂😂😂 Apparently the 6th graders tried to play it off like they had knocked on the wrong door. 😂😂😂

Deadbeat knew what was going on so he laid it on thick. 💀💀💀💀

Elrod and the boys said the 6th graders never bothered them again -- and were going around telling everyone that they were ALL buddies now ... 😂😂😂😂

I wonder what ever happened to that kid. 🤔🤔🤔 His parents seemed like decent people. Dad had gotten hurt at work a couple years earlier and was in a really bad way. Story was he was as good as he was gonna get. She left her job to stay home and take care of him and their 4 kids. I'm sure he got a motherlode settlement, and was drawing disability by the time I met them but it was clear that they were a lot like me -- in over their heads and just not sure what else to do but just make the best of it.

And for the life of me, I never understood why Elrod's mom didn't just handle the 6th graders. Except there was no way her husband could have presented the same intimidation factor Jeff did. And she was a really quiet gal -- I dunno if she ever even raised her voice. Ever. In her life. Lol

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah ... That strict guideline is just that. A guideline. To tell a single parent, who was working 2 and 3 jobs at a time, getting no child support and had no support system at all that she could rely on to force her kids to walk through a dangerous neighborhood so the staff at the school would not be inconvenienced is unconscionable in my opinion.

If I'd been a meth-shooting, cocaine-snorting, alcoholic welfare queen who beat her kids just for breathing they would have bent over backwards to accommodate me. These people are just like everyone else -- it's all for the kids until it inconveniences them in some way and then OH MY GAWD somebody better get busy clutching
Yeah ... That strict guideline is just that. A guideline. To tell a single parent, who was working 2 and 3 jobs at a time, getting no child support and had no support system at all that she could rely on to force her kids to walk through a dangerous neighborhood so the staff at the school would not be inconvenienced is unconscionable in my opinion.

If I'd been a meth-shooting, cocaine-snorting, alcoholic welfare queen who beat her kids just for breathing they would have bent over backwards to accommodate me. These people are just like everyone else -- it's all for the kids until it inconveniences them in some way and then OH MY GAWD somebody better get busy clutching their pearls. 🙄🙄🙄
My only point was that a well disciplined school is better than what I saw in Oregon. And you’re correct that with all the social handouts in government you’d think they’d be more than willing to accommodate a single mother or father who is doing everything on their own and trying their best.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its about money .. some US government school programs are based on attendance and the more kids in class ,more money to the school..
Yes and no. Yes, it’s about money and funding, but from someone married to a teacher, it’s hell on them to have to get the little sh*ts caught back up after they miss. School doesn’t stop because little Billy didn’t feel like coming to school yesterday, and whether little Billy likes it or not, he’s going to have to do yesterday’s work AND today’s work or he’s going to fail. When Momma check the parent portal to see little Billy’s grades, she’s going to be calling or emailing the teacher wanting to know why little Billy has zeros in the grade book and is failing. Well, little Billy never turned in the assignments he missed like all the kids that were at school that day. Contrary to what Momma and little Billy think, he’s not special and isn’t going to get special treatment. :censored: :finger:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and no. Yes, it’s about money and funding, but from someone married to a teacher, it’s hell on them to have to get the little sh*ts caught back up after they miss. School doesn’t stop because little Billy didn’t feel like coming to school yesterday, and whether little Billy likes it or not, he’s going to have to do yesterday’s work AND today’s work or he’s going to fail. When Momma check the parent portal to see little Billy’s grades, she’s going to be calling or emailing the teacher wanting to know why little Billy has zeros in the grade book and is failing. Well, little Billy never turned in the assignments he missed like all the kids that were at school that day. Contrary to what Momma and little Billy think, he’s not special and isn’t going to get special treatment. :censored: :finger:

Now this I understand also. I hate to keep harping on the single parent thing but dammit, raising kids is hard work. If YOU don't care whether you kid learns what they need to learn there is absolutely no reason for you to expect a teacher to. Teachers are NOT supposed to be babysitters or even worse surrogate parents. Why WHY WHY are people like this??

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now this I understand also. I hate to keep harping on the single parent thing but dammit, raising kids is hard work. If YOU don't care whether you kid learns what they need to learn there is absolutely no reason for you to expect a teacher to. Teachers are NOT supposed to be babysitters or even worse surrogate parents. Why WHY WHY are people like this??
Because they are too effing lazy to do the right thing. It's too hard.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Keep in mind that those who are parents now came from a time where every gets a trophy. Time outs and safe spots became a thing followed by being told they are special.

What you see now is the harvest of all that crap.

When I was a kid we had strict bed times, in bed by 8pm on school nights, no exceptions. Up a least an hour and half before leaving for school to be here on time. Strict time to be home after school and check in with mom.

These were absolutes, no arguing, whining, complaining, it was here are the rules its up to you to follow them. Consequences for not following were the belt.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter fights every day to get her kids up and where they need to be. It aint pretty to watch, Adults I grew up around had less tolerance for obstinate whiners thàn she does but she gets it done without violence, and utilizes strict dietary stuff to deal with their behavior. Dont let kids eat processed crap and their behavior improves, I know it even applies to me, eating right keeps me from bitchin so much
I kid you not that my boss told me his nephew will go ape if he eats or drinks that red dye they put in some foods and drinks. I have no doubt stuff is put into our food to kill us.

My brother in law had to go to Italy and Paris a couple months ago for his job. He said the 10 days he was there he hadn’t felt that good his whole life. All because their food didn’t have all the crap ours has in it.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This, pure and simple.

And I am SO glad those days are behind me. I had a principal call me at work one day and tell me I could not drop my kids off at the school before 8 am anymore. I asked if they were misbehaving. No, that wasn't the problem. Just class didn't start until 8:20 and 7:45 was too early.

I always made sure they had eaten breakfast, had their homework done and had a book to read while they were waiting on school to start and that they knew if they caused any trouble before school started there would be hell to pay when I found out about it. 🤷🤷🤷

There were already adults at the school when I dropped them off, so they were not unsupervised -- or unattended. 🤷🤷 Nope. No reason other than she "just didn't like kids being there earlier than 8 am". When I told her I worked downtown, we lived too close for the boys to ride the bus, but far enough away and in a rough enough neighborhood I was not comfortable with them walking (Tulakes Elementary -- you guys who know KNOW) she told me maybe I should quit working and go on public assistance. Btw, I heard the exact same thing from a principal at Quail Springs Elementary when the boys were enrolled there.

****ing admin and teachers don't give a **** about anything but what affects them. (And none of y'all are gonna change my mind so go ahead and tell me how rough teachers have it. 🙄🙄🙄)

Yikes . . . adults already being in the school doesn't mean the kids can be dropped off before the time allowed. It just doesn't. Unless there is a before school program with assigned staff where the kids are kept until it's time to go to their classroom.

Latest posts

Top Bottom