More Teens Turning To Ozempic Drug For Weight Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2873.jpeg

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-health/weight-loss-drugs-teens-ozempic-wegovy-kids-rcna139687

I think maybe put down the smartphone and Little Debbie cupcake and go do something physical? 😎

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d agree. There certainly are exceptions BUT there is an entire generation (or two) of children that have been trained with instant gratification. With technology having always been at their fingertips they are increasingly becoming less and less motivated to do anything but post videos on TikTok of themselves eating Tide Pods or whatever the recent stupid thing is to do. They are impatient and completely self-absorbed! May seem like a silly thing but when we wanted to know how to spell a word? “Look it up in the dictionary.” Get information on a particular subject for a report? We headed to the library while today they just type in a computer what the paper should be about and AI writes the whole thing for them. Now I’m not saying Ozempic doesn’t have its place but it should NOT be the first crack at getting your fat arse in shape.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the teens that are turning to it, it is the doctors prescribing it. Modern medicine is making us increasingly weaker and sicker. If you need a med to lose weight perhaps eating less and being more active would be a better choice, especially as a teen. I would suspect now teenage ED is a thing. Amazing how doctors are ignoring this:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/product-liability/ozempic-lawsuit/

https://www.triallaw1.com/potential-complications-and-long-term-effects-of-ozempic/#:~:text=Users Report Severe Long-Term Effects from Ozempic&text=Some users have reported heart,Ozempic with their healthcare providers.

If a teen uses it odds are they will be taking it for the rest of their lives. I have struggled with weight my entire life. Currently I am at a weight that by even 1970's standards would be considered healthy, however I was at my heaviest in 2013, I was up to 249 lbs. Lost 95 lbs and was too thin, now at 175 and feel great. I am 6' 1" and no back pain. Resting pulse 65, blood pressure 130 to 120 over 75. Doctors want me on cholesterol meds, tried it, felt like I was in a fog everyday so stopped 'em.

Our food is not healthy, it is making us fatter.

Last edited:

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d agree. There certainly are exceptions BUT there is an entire generation (or two) of children that have been trained with instant gratification. With technology having always been at their fingertips they are increasingly becoming less and less motivated to do anything but post videos on TikTok of themselves eating Tide Pods or whatever the recent stupid thing is to do. They are impatient and completely self-absorbed! May seem like a silly thing but when we wanted to know how to spell a word? “Look it up in the dictionary.” Get information on a particular subject for a report? We headed to the library while today they just type in a computer what the paper should be about and AI writes the whole thing for them. Now I’m not saying Ozempic doesn’t have its place but it should NOT be the first crack at getting your fat arse in shape.
Meh, it started with baby boomers. It’s been going downhill since the greatest generation.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh, it started with baby boomers. It’s been going downhill since the greatest generation.

I also tend to think this is the case.

As for kids and Ozempic, man I dunno. For some kids, maybe, but most of them probably not. I see so many morbidly obese kids and teenagers these days that it breaks my heart. Life is hard enough already. Can you imagine being 12 years old and weighing 250 pounds?? 😢 Kids don't "get" to stay outside from dawn to dusk like we did. Even some farm kids, who work as hard as any man on this forum, have trouble with their weight. Serious trouble. And food additives play no small part in that. Toss in those adolescent hormones and jeez Louise, is it any wonder kids feel like "just lose the weight" is an insurmountable task??

My pain management doc also has a weight management clinic. He saw the writing on the wall and opened up shop a couple years ago but NOW that office has more traffic than pain management does, it seems. Plenty of suburban moms who only need to lose 20 pounds to look like Twiggy did back in the day are lined up filling out initial intake paperwork.

Of all the things a parent can push a kid to these days, I'm thinking "quick" weight loss is one of the more lesser evils. 🤷

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most drugs go through a least a moderately decent testing when they’re being developed. At least for their initial intended purpose.
Here’s my concern. When drugs start getting prescribed for new issues and new clientele they aren’t always vetted as well. So how many years before they discover some deadly side effect for this new target audience?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also tend to think this is the case.

As for kids and Ozempic, man I dunno. For some kids, maybe, but most of them probably not. I see so many morbidly obese kids and teenagers these days that it breaks my heart. Life is hard enough already. Can you imagine being 12 years old and weighing 250 pounds?? 😢 Kids don't "get" to stay outside from dawn to dusk like we did. Even some farm kids, who work as hard as any man on this forum, have trouble with their weight. Serious trouble. And food additives play no small part in that. Toss in those adolescent hormones and jeez Louise, is it any wonder kids feel like "just lose the weight" is an insurmountable task??

My pain management doc also has a weight management clinic. He saw the writing on the wall and opened up shop a couple years ago but NOW that office has more traffic than pain management does, it seems. Plenty of suburban moms who only need to lose 20 pounds to look like Twiggy did back in the day are lined up filling out initial intake paperwork.

Of all the things a parent can push a kid to these days, I'm thinking "quick" weight loss is one of the more lesser evils. 🤷
I definitely see the pain management and weight loss crossover. For a lot of pain, losing weight would be a no-brainer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom