My dog just had another seizure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to see your dog getting old but mine is. She still looks like a puppy but I forget she's about to turn 12.
She's a rescue dog that my wife and I picked up from a breeder who had planned to put her down because of birth defect. Cleft palate all the way into the nostril. Mini Yorkie.
Not suppose to survive more than a few weeks but now it's 12 years later.
Yorkies are prone to this condition (seizures), but the last year they have become more frequent.
I can tell when it's about to happen and holding her helps it pass but it leaves her completely drained. It scares her and me.
We lost our other dog, that was even older, a year ago and don't want to think about losing this one too.
Amazing how attached you get.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Dogs are so much more honorable creatures than people. I have two, but one that is my shadow. I adore them both but when Dawg's time to go comes, I'm gonna be devastated. For a mutt I did not want, and has been a royal pain in the ass an awful lot of the time, he has turned out to be a pretty sweet guy.

You and yours are in my prayers, that when her time comes it's easy and quick for her.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Dogs are so much more honorable creatures than people. I have two, but one that is my shadow. I adore them both but when Dawg's time to go comes, I'm gonna be devastated. For a mutt I did not want, and has been a royal pain in the ass an awful lot of the time, he has turned out to be a pretty sweet guy.

You and yours are in my prayers, that when her time comes it's easy and quick for her.
Thanks. Cleaned her up and she's zonked out, sleeping in my lap.
She's a good dog.
Thanks again

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of our dogs was bitten by a copperhead in the snout. With the Vets treatment, he survived but had seizures as an latent effect.
He would lock up solid as a rock and quiver for what seemed like an hour but was less than a minute. As you described, would be gasping for breath.
I loved that dog, but could not see it suffer like that any more. His quality of life was over. I know it's in my mind, but when the vet tech took him away from me, I swear I saw thank you in his eyes as she was walking him to the back and he turned to look at me .
It's your call, and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of our dogs was bitten by a copperhead in the snout. With the Vets treatment, he survived but had seizures as an latent effect.
He would lock up solid as a rock and quiver for what seemed like an hour but was less than a minute. As you described, would be gasping for breath.
I loved that dog, but could not see it suffer like that any more. His quality of life was over. I know it's in my mind, but when the vet tech took him away from me, I swear I saw thank you in his eyes as she was walking him to the back and he turned to look at me .
It's your call, and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.
Sorry Dennis. Dogs are the friends you need when you desperately need them.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just going to say that dogs are family to me and I'm sorry. We've got three rescues and when one of ours goes, it won't be pretty.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am sorry for your trouble. Dogs are the greatest gift a person can have. If she recovers from her seizures and is normally afterwards all is good for awhile .SIL hD a lab that would have a seizure like that and lived her whole life with it until 13. I just put my best friend down a week ago. He had a seizure and could not walk afterwards had some nerve issues before. It was hard to do but he new and told me it was his time. You will know when it is time. Prayers for you and yours

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Over the years I've gone thru the loss of several. Each dog was part of the family. Especially hard on me was when Ike (my avatar) decided he had enough. It's especially tough at the vets office but I have held each one in my arms when they were given the shot just so they know I loved them. I have shed a few tears over my canine friends.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Over the years I've gone thru the loss of several. Each dog was part of the family. Especially hard on me was when Ike (my avatar) decided he had enough. It's especially tough at the vets office but I have held each one in my arms when they were given the shot just so they know I loved them. I have shed a few tears over my canine friends.

You sound like me. I've never understood people who could just drop their dog off and walk away (it happens a lot more than you think). I've stayed with every one of my friends to the end. What they each have me over the years, it seems like it's the LEAST I could do.

This group of guys (2 dogs, 2 cats) will be our last set of pets. I'd rather be alone than outlive one of my pets.

Been told more than once that I've "ruined" a perfectly good dog ... one in particular a retired schuzhund champ imported from Germany and "fostered out" by the kennel that owned her. That dog was a riot -- literally saved my life once. Before she passed no one could do anything with her but me. I had an overnight stay at the hospital for some surgery and the old man said she spent the entire night roaming through the house looking for me. I never left her alone again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom