My First 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well folks. I have a long term (longish) use review of the Rock Island GI that I picked up. Used this bad boy at the Bowling Pin match in Duncan a few months back. Had a great time. Two jams during the match. Both after having fired several mags already with no malfunctions. Seems that once a bit dirty rounds have trouble returning to battery or sitting in the chamber fully. Very accurate and a great trigger though. Follow up shots were quick pleasing to shoot for certain. I can see why this platform is a choice of so many for serious business.

Overall, I have had around 10 ftf or jams of one sort or another. Most were either a failure to return to battery as described above and seen here:
[Broken External Image]

I have not yet determined the cause of this malfunction aside from a dirty chamber after 20 or so rounds. Seems a bit picky to me. :grumble: This jam did happen also when mags were loaded to full capacity more often than on the rounds thereafter. Not sure why.

The others were where a round has nosedived into the face of the beveled feed ramp. Seems common with 1911's really. Does this with either FMJ or JHP ammo. As seen here.
[Broken External Image]
A correlation between mag used and this malfunction showed me that this 1911 likes the ACT mags. :coffee2:

Accuracy still has been top notch in my book. Between the crisp trigger and POA tendency to hit whatever you point at, I am truly impressed. Aside from the reliability issues this thing Rocks. (Pun intended) Juxtapose that above from the fact that in all my years of shooting Glocks, I have never had a Jam or FTF that was not associated with ammunition problems. (Once only that I can recall with WWB dud) Now that's impressive.

Overall I am pleased to say that I am a 1911 fan. Not a fanatic as some here have shown to be. :doh: You know who you are. :) I think the intrigue for me is the fact that you can do so many tings to customize these. (Not so much with the Glock, at least not me) Tweaking here or there can likely accomplish a great deal of increased reliability. Which is where I will next try to polish my feed ramp a bit, even though it is shiny, it has a few pit marks that may be hindering smooth operation. I have done a great deal of research and have found tutorials for a few projects which I will attempt on this piece. :mosh:

Also, I think I may just pick up another 1911 in the compact format. One with all the bells and whistles that will hopefully prove reliable from the start. :fullauto: If I can find the reliability I am looking for I may even carry one of these. ;)

So, hit me with your recommendations on what I may do to increase the reliability factor of this 1911. Thanks. :chat:

Latest posts

Top Bottom