Treated myself to my first 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Running ammo through a dirty barrel can lead to scarring and decrease in accuracy. If you can’t hit the broad side of a barn anyway it doesn’t matter.
So do you run a patch through the bore periodically as you shoot 100rnds? Lol

I don’t let my guns get super dirty or anything. I keep an eye on the bore.

Maybe you’re right for competition shooting. But for casual plinking at 25 yds I think I’m accurate enough on a barrel with a few hundred rounds through it. I dunno maybe I’m crazy haha

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never heard of that nor heard anyone say a Chip M mag failed. I've never had any Chip McCormick mag of any flavor fail and I own several handfuls. Not one, and I've had them as long as of my WC or longer. I've had at least 3 WC fail.
Never ever had a problem with CM mags.
The Colt should be a good 1911 for you.
Remember when you get to the range that it’s not a polymer frame, striker fired high cap that you can run with a small amount of lube.
1911 pistols perform best when well lubed.
Wilson, Tripp and Chip M make really good mags I’d stick with them.
I love shooting the 1911, the trigger and ergonomics make putting bullets on target a good bit easier.
Have fun!
I have been carrying and shooting Colts for over 70 years. I like Colt marked Mags. Others are CM's. No plastic followers. Ever! When I carry in winter every other round in my magazines are Hardball. JHP's going into heavy clothing can expand before they make it to any vitals. Two hundred thirty grain hardball has splendid stopping power especially when double tapped.

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Kimber. Gave it to a friend and had a Caspian built. Cost the same but twice the gun and better groups. Wasn’t a cheap Kimber either. I’m sure you might run across a decent Kimber once in awhile, but I learned my lesson. Kinda like marriage. Once was enough for me.
Don't like Kimber's. Too many problems. Owned two just not reliable enough especially for the money. I picked up a Ruger Combat Commander and it is very well made , accurate and reliable. looks like a keeper.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never ever had a problem with CM mags.

I have been carrying and shooting Colts for over 70 years. I like Colt marked Mags. Others are CM's. No plastic followers. Ever! When I carry in winter every other round in my magazines are Hardball. JHP's going into heavy clothing can expand before they make it to any vitals. Two hundred grain hardball has splendid stopping power especially when double tapped.

Nothing wrong with polymer followers. Wilson 47D, ETM, and Tripp uses a hybrid. All of those are superior to any others mentioned.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd consider adding an integral mag well mainspring housing (MSH) but other than that I would leave it alone. I have had three different 1911's over the years. I am looking at getting another one that is truly heirloom quality. I want it in 9mm but know deep down that a 1911 is a 45 so I'm struggling with it all a little bit right now.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with polymer followers. Wilson 47D, ETM, and Tripp uses a hybrid. All of those are superior to any others mentioned.

I agree if you don't use them really heavily. I love the 47D Wilson mags...just hate the plastic followers. Definitely the smoothest loading mags I've ever had. I used 5 at a Thunder Ranch class (granted...it was 1998...maybe they're better now) and wore out three of them (followers...not mags). Shooting 500+ rounds a day for 4 days took a toll on the followers to the point 3 of them stopped locking the slide on empty.

A year or so later took the follow-on class...team tactics or something like that. That time I used the Power Mags. Not a single magazine issue over the 5 days of the class.

I have several Wilsons now that I've used for over 10 years, I'd guess. Never a problem and no sign of wear on the followers. But I don't use them nearly as often as before when I carried a gun for a living.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I meant to say... The mags that Colt supplies with their guns seem to work as well as anything. I don't recall ever having a problem with the Colt-branded magazines. But they're only 7-round mags. I prefer to use the 8-rounders. That's also a bone of contention with a lot of people. I've heard all sorts of stuff about how they're not reliable. That's not my experience at all.

Mec-Gar makes magazines for many gun makers and at one time (maybe they still do) made the mags for Wilson. Great magazines, too, in my experience.

I also really like the Kimber Kim-Pro Tac Mags. They're actually my preferred mags behind the McCormick Power Mags. Not sure if Kimber actually makes those or if they're subbed out by Kimber.

Honestly... I don't care whose name is on the magazine. If it works reliably I'll use it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree if you don't use them really heavily. I love the 47D Wilson mags...just hate the plastic followers. Definitely the smoothest loading mags I've ever had. I used 5 at a Thunder Ranch class (granted...it was 1998...maybe they're better now) and wore out three of them (followers...not mags). Shooting 500+ rounds a day for 4 days took a toll on the followers to the point 3 of them stopped locking the slide on empty.

A year or so later took the follow-on class...team tactics or something like that. That time I used the Power Mags. Not a single magazine issue over the 5 days of the class.

I have several Wilsons now that I've used for over 10 years, I'd guess. Never a problem and no sign of wear on the followers. But I don't use them nearly as often as before when I carried a gun for a living.

I dunno, 2000 rounds ain't gonna wear those out. Personally, I never had an issue in the local class I took. We were supposed to go through 1500 rounds but I know I did less than that. Either way, I've got at least tens of thousands of round through Wilson mags, never an issue with them or the tripps.

I think the polymer knock is a bit antiquated is the point I'm getting at. Look at all the polymer used in AR mags with no issues.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So do you run a patch through the bore periodically as you shoot 100rnds? Lol

I don’t let my guns get super dirty or anything. I keep an eye on the bore.

Maybe you’re right for competition shooting. But for casual plinking at 25 yds I think I’m accurate enough on a barrel with a few hundred rounds through it. I dunno maybe I’m crazy haha
Na! You are good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom