Treated myself to my first 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason for that!
Congrats to the OP on entering the world of the 1911. Like some have said, it comes naturally to the eye vs the tupperware crap that is pointed at the moon after presentation, requiring a secondary wrist movement to bring the muzzle down.
Wilson combat also makes a 10 round mag that extends out past the grip a bit but it brings the ammo count up to 11 with one in the tube for carry.
How well do the 10rd Wilson’s function? I have thought about buying a couple.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilson and Tripp mags are both excellent. Personally, I wouldn't do too much to a Gold Cup, if I was going to mod something I'd probably have opted for a cheaper base gun. Yes on snap caps, they're cheap.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been into handguns a long time, but I have never took the leap into the 1911 platform. Got kind of a surprise bonus at work, got the wife to agree I could spend it how I wanted lol, so I went gun shopping! Found one that had to come home with me. Found a new colt gold cup (apparently hard to get right now).

Initially I was considering an inexpensive option. Like RIA or Taurus etc.. but after shopping around I realized I wanted to invest in more of an heirloom quality pistol. I was strongly considering a used Springfield Ronin they had at BigBoys, but settled on the Colt. I will be ordering dies and reloading for it. So excited!

So, asking you seasoned 1911 folks out there, is there anything I should plan on doing to this pistol?
Don't make it a safe queen. Shoot the Chit out of it. Colt 1911's are the best especially the Gold Cup. You just can't wear them out. One doesn't need a diamond studded gold plated supposedly hand made 1911 to shoot 1-1/2 inch groups at 25 yards 'cause a Gold Cup will do the same or better. Take that wife of yours to a Surf and Turf Dinner. Best of luck on the new toy!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took it out and shot 2 boxes through it, rang some steel. It ran flawlessly. Feels buttery smooth! Can’t wait to get more acquainted with it.

I think I already kind of did the “idiot scratch” thing a guy mentioned early on in the thread… oops.. I watched a couple videos on disassembly/reassembly, seemed pretty simple. I was aware the danger was most likely the part where you put in the slide catch pin…

Well hell I was fiddling with it trying to get the feel for how it wants to snap in, I thought I was being gentle, but I still kind of drug it against the slide a little bit accidentally and left a scratch!! After a few successful snap-ins NOW I get it lol..

Oh well I guess.. it’s mine anyway. I have no intention to ever sell it. That scratch just means I got to enjoy learning/being a 1911 novice with a very nice pistol haha

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took it out and shot 2 boxes through it, rang some steel. It ran flawlessly. Feels buttery smooth! Can’t wait to get more acquainted with it.

I think I already kind of did the “idiot scratch” thing a guy mentioned early on in the thread… oops.. I watched a couple videos on disassembly/reassembly, seemed pretty simple. I was aware the danger was most likely the part where you put in the slide catch pin…

Well hell I was fiddling with it trying to get the feel for how it wants to snap in, I thought I was being gentle, but I still kind of drug it against the slide a little bit accidentally and left a scratch!! After a few successful snap-ins NOW I get it lol..

Oh well I guess.. it’s mine anyway. I have no intention to ever sell it. That scratch just means I got to enjoy learning/being a 1911 novice with a very nice pistol haha
dont matter if they all have a scratch just part of it wouldnt affect the price to me!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dont matter if they all have a scratch just part of it wouldnt affect the price to me!
Haha thanks man! I was being careful, don’t get me wrong, it’s a very faint scratch. It might even just kind of disappear with use it’s so faint.

But I’m glad you feel that way. Honestly it’s not a safe queen for me, it’s going to be a shooter. My son can inherit a gun with a few scratches lol

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason for that!
Congrats to the OP on entering the world of the 1911. Like some have said, it comes naturally to the eye vs the tupperware crap that is pointed at the moon after presentation, requiring a secondary wrist movement to bring the muzzle down.
Wilson combat also makes a 10 round mag that extends out past the grip a bit but it brings the ammo count up to 11 with one in the tube for carry.
He'd hafta unzip ta count that high.

Latest posts

Top Bottom