Name that bird!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say it looks like a mockingbird. Does it have the black/white bars on the wings, visible when it flies?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far, as far as I can tell, everything is muted; from white to a very light gray. I've never seen him actually with other Mockingbirds yet. He may be an outcast.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far, as far as I can tell, everything is muted; from white to a very light gray. I've never seen him actually with other Mockingbirds yet. He may be an outcast.

Maybe he's a youngster and hasn't gotten his full coloring yet? Although it seems a little early for a youngster that big.

If it's a mockingbird you might have a permanent resident. They like to stake a claim and stick around.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He's been here for a couple of weeks. I feed him June bugs every morning.

He's the same size as the other adults in the area.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know my birds that well but it could be any of these:

Rough Faced Shag
Brown Trembler
Northern Screamer
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Black-throated Huet-huet
Short-legged Ground-Roller
Fluffy-backed Tit Babbler
Wandering Tattler
Scaly Throated Leaftosser
Red-knobbed Coot
Cock-tailed Tyrant

Some of them sound like ex-girlfriends names!

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We actively feed our feathered friends. Painted Buntings frequent our house regularly. Blue Birds and Cardinals are close runner-ups in the colorful dept. What really thrills us is when an owl or hawk will land and go after grasshoppers and other such critters.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since you asked, and since I can't keep a secret, it appears to be a Mockingbird.

Ohhhh ... I am better than I thought. I wanted to say it was a mockingbird but I have no confidence at ALL in my bird identification skills ...

When we first got together GC would turn his pager on as he was walking down the sidewalk to get in his car. It made a distinctive "beep beep beep" sound. About a month after he moved in, several hours AFTER he had left for work, I hear that pager noise ... "beep beep beep" ... go outside, look all around ... nothing. We finally figured out we had a mockingbird living in the tree in the front yard. It was kinda neat. It was only here that one summer ... Kinda bummed me out when it didn't come back the next spring.

There was another bird (I don't know what kind it was) that hung around here for a couple of years. It only had one foot. That thing LOVED to play in the water sprinkler ...

Birds are too much fun to watch!

Latest posts

Top Bottom