New Streaming Option For Cordcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at going to streaming and away from Directv. Currently have good internet connection but is limited data through Verizon hotspot on my phone. And, Verizon ain't cheap. It I could be convinced that Atlink is worth the money I would switch tomorrow.
I have had Atlink for 2 years with 0 issues streaming.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this the channel master model you are recommending? I have a Roku now but the CM looks awsome compared.
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...qid=1427462153&sr=1-2&keywords=channel+master

Thats it. I just ordered mine from ChanneMaster for $249 because I didnt need the wifi adapter or HDMI cable. You still will still have to have an external hard dive with this one to use the DVR Function. They have one with a 1TB internal drive for $399.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, I'm a bit confused because the OP said he has the CM and later posted he uses a Roku 3 for streaming? The CM wont do it all?

Right now it wont. They are suspossed to have a firmware update next month to add streaming channels but I have no idea what channels they are going to have. Right now it pretty much just gives you a cable like user interface for over the air broadcast channels and the ability to record those programs. I still stream everything through my Amazon FireTV.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, I'm a bit confused because the OP said he has the CM and later posted he uses a Roku 3 for streaming? The CM wont do it all?

CM will be having a sale Mon Mar 30th.
Open box DVR+ for $189.
If you need the WiFi dongle you can buy that separately.

Roku is the king of streaming devices IMO.
Hundreds of channels.
If nothing else I would have one to stream music and video from my server to the TV via the Plex channel.

You can try adding the sling channel to your roku and see if it will allow you to add it.
If so you should be all set.
If not you can sign up with sling and get a roku for half off as mentioned previously.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, reading on CM website, the DVR + doesnt come with a USB wifi adapter. Can the Roku be connected through it for this purpose?

The CM needs to be connected to the internet for full functionality.
You can either plug in Ethernet or use a USB WiFi dongle.

2 reasons...
It makes it easier to download firmware updates when they become available ( you can update manually with a USB flash drive but that's a PITA)
The 14 day program guide is downloaded daily from Rovi corp via the internet.

You can use the CM without internet connected but the program guide will only have about 24 hr's of data because all the FCC requires is or broadcasters to send out one days worth of guide data via PSIP.

You will need the DVR+ and a disk drive, internal or external, and either an Ethernet cable connected to your router OR a WiFi dongle if the cable is not convenient.
You could also use Ethernet over power adapters but that's not as common.

Latest posts

Top Bottom