Officer Shelby interview on 60 Minutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tulsa PD officer that is about to go on trial for the shooting of Terence Crutcher last fall. She did an interview with 60 Minutes that was aired last night. Anyone else watch it?

I was surprised that she would go on that format but I suspect her lawyers are trying to get out front of the trial by letting her tell her story.

Crutcher's sister, a north Tulsa preacher, and Dewey Bartlett were also interviewed. Central to the story was that the shooting was racially motivated and the report even brought up the 1921 race riot. Ironic that her husband was in the helicopter that filmed the incident.

I'm of the opinion that she was sacrificed to avoid violent protest and should have never been charged. Uncertain if the interview will work in her favor but regardless of the interview I can't imagine a jury convicting her.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't see the whole interview, just clips. IMO, the "crying" bit didn't do her any favors. Yes, it's an emotional issue, but as I watched, she came off as being overwhelmed by job at hand.

I still don't think she meant to shoot him, judging by the other officers reactions that are standing right next to her and DON'T fire. You'd think if something serious was going on, it would garner shots from everyone. I think she had an AD and this is the easiest way to run it thru the courts. I'm sure we'll never know what truly happened.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still don't think she meant to shoot him, judging by the other officers reactions that are standing right next to her and DON'T fire. You'd think if something serious was going on, it would garner shots from everyone.

This is incorrect- the officer standing to her left fired his taser at the same instant she fired her gun, so he obviously perceived the same threat from Crutcher as she did.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Her argument sounded perfectly valid. Crutcher reached into his pockets more than once, searching for a weapon in Officer Shelby's view. Not finding one, he then moved deliberately toward the parked SUV, again, in Shelby's view, perhaps attempting to get to the vehicle to retrieve a weapon. Standing with his hands up beside the vehicle, two officers saw his shoulders drop as he moved his arms down. Officer Shelby believed he was going for a weapon and discharged her pistol. The other officer fired his Taser. Crutcher ignored repeated demands to comply with Shelby's orders and moved deliberately toward the SUV in an effort, she believed, to retrieve a weapon. All the Monday morning quarterbacking is fine and good, but it would be a travesty if Officer Shelby is sentenced to anything remotely criminal.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't see the whole interview, just clips. IMO, the "crying" bit didn't do her any favors. Yes, it's an emotional issue, but as I watched, she came off as being overwhelmed by job at hand.

I still don't think she meant to shoot him, judging by the other officers reactions that are standing right next to her and DON'T fire. You'd think if something serious was going on, it would garner shots from everyone. I think she had an AD and this is the easiest way to run it thru the courts. I'm sure we'll never know what truly happened.
The officer on her left stated in the interview that he deployed the taser because Shelby had her firearm out. If she had had a taser he would have drawn his firearm.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally I'd say Kunzweiler wouldn't stand a chance of winning this case. However, this is Tulsa County and Tulsa County jurors don't exactly have a good track record. :(

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The officer on her left stated in the interview that he deployed the taser because Shelby had her firearm out. If she had had a taser he would have drawn his firearm.

The other factor in play in that decision was Ofc. Shelby's training in recognizing an individual under the influence of strong drugs, like the PCP that was found in Crutcher's system. She knew the possibility of a failure to stun such an individual was high and could leave her exposed. The other officer hadn't been on the scene long enough to make that kind of assessment of Crutcher's behavior.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really hope she gets found not guilty, bad deal for her. Did anyone else get a little PO'd at the sister saying it wouldn't have happened if he had been white. It wouldn't have happened if the durd would have just complied with her orders. From my prospective she made the only move she could under the circumstances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom