Officer Shelby interview on 60 Minutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She had a stress induced sympathetic discharge. A phenomena well documented in law enforcement. lack of training usual cause
I'm not proficient in the latest Internet commando curriculum. However, I'm pretty sure sympathetic discharge can result in sympathetic response but Sympathetic discharge is not firing one's weapon under stress because someone else fired theirs first. Second, where is your evidence of sympathetic response? Her testimony is that she believed, based on the subject's behavior to that point, that he was reaching into his vehicle for a weapon. The officer who fired his taser gave testimony that they fired simultaneously.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not proficient in the latest Internet commando curriculum. However, I'm pretty sure sympathetic discharge can result in sympathetic response but Sympathetic discharge is not firing one's weapon under stress because someone else fired theirs first. Second, where is your evidence of sympathetic response? Her testimony is that she believed, based on the subject's behavior to that point, that he was reaching into his vehicle for a weapon. The officer who fired his taser gave testimony that they fired simultaneously.

They're taking what they believe may have happened and stating it as fact. I happen to believe this may have been what happened, but it's just my supposition and nothing more than that. Regardless, it is NOT a solid basis for criminal charges.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when the taser went off with it's normal pop sound she discharged her weapon. The fact that she did not discharge multiple rounds as most officers do also indicates it was a sympathetic reflex. Not an intentional discharge. I have witnessed it during qualifications and it is certainly documented at police shootings and combat environments. lack of stress inducing training is main reason it occurs http://aele.org/no-recall.html
http://www.chemicalbiological.net/sympatheticfire.html

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Her testimony is that she believed, based on the subject's behavior to that point, that he was reaching into his vehicle for a weapon.

If one is trying to avoid repercussions, which testimony best suits that position?

1)Oops, I accidentally killed an individual.
or
2) I was in fear for my life?

"I was in fear for my life" seems to be the better choice.

The officer who fired his taser gave testimony that they fired simultaneously.

Genuine question, why would officers fire a taser AND a firearm simultaneously. That doesn't make much sense, either an individual needs killing or they need tasing, they never need both.

Last edited:

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They often need both. A taser can be used in a deadly force encounter. Sometimes it is the tool you have deployed when stuff goes bad. You do not have time to deploy a lethal tool and you hope your backup saves your bacon

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two officers saw his actions as threatening and responded to a perceived threat. She just happened to be the one holding the gun.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two officers saw his actions as threatening and responded to a perceived threat. She just happened to be the one holding the gun.
That could be what happened I would certainly entertain that line of defense. having been in similar situations I know I would not have fired. However my perception would not be the same as a physically smaller female officer who has probably had few life and death encounters. So I would never try to say she did not perceive a threat of imminent grave bodily harm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom