Official Random Photo Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to have a large number of quail in our great state, but they have disappeared along with the jack rabbits.
Road Runners and Horny Toads seem scarce too. As a kid I saw them everywhere.
And the huge flocks of Red Winged Black Birds.
One bird I see too much of is the Kite Hawk.They seem to be overpopulated these days. And I think
they thin out the song birds as they hunt the ones coming off the nest.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One bird I see too much of is the Kite Hawk.They seem to be overpopulated these days. And I think
We still have lots of roadrunners and still actually see quite a few horny toads. I don't destroy the harvester ant hills around my property and can usually find one or two just about any day from now till the end of September. Kites seem to live more in urban areas? I don't ever see them out side of the city limits.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always called them bullbats growing up. They fly around the house all summer I'll try to get a video of the sound.

That was a really interesting video. So, I guess I have seen them in the air. As a matter of fact, I see them around here now that I see what they look like when flying. The white blazes on their wings really stand out and I've noticed that on those I've seen here. I just didn't know what they were. I've heard the call they make but not that other noise they make from diving. That's really cool.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We see roadrunners around here fairly frequently. No horned toads, though. I haven't seen one since I was a kid...long, long time.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We used to have a large number of quail in our great state, but they have disappeared along with the jack rabbits.
I'm going to have to give you and Waltercat a "down memory lane" wildlife tour some day I guess. We've still got quail, horny toads, jack rabbits and roadrunners lol. Alfalfa, Grant, Garfield and Major counties.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8DDBB3F8-3C01-4165-B4E5-B650A86F4213.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still see roadrunner fairly frequently (Garfield County), but I honestly do not recall the last time I saw a horny toad. It's been ages. Quail ... once in a great while.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to have to give you and Waltercat a "down memory lane" wildlife tour some day I guess. We've still got quail, horny toads, jack rabbits and roadrunners lol. Alfalfa, Grant, Garfield and Major counties.
I know that they are still around. I see road runners almost daily. Horny toads are still around in fair numbers, but the quail and jack rabbits have almost disappeared from SW Oklahoma. I grew up hunting both, and neither was hard to find. The last jack rabbit that I saw around here was about two years, and I only saw one. Every now and then I will see a small covey of quail, but it’s definitely not like it used to be 20 or 30 years ago. I also never saw hogs, and they are everywhere now. It’s probably a combination of different things for the decline (pesticides, not enough prairie grass, predators, etc), but I’d like to see them return in better numbers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom