Opioid Crisis in OK; Who’s to Blame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you imagine how much drug prices will have to increase to cover this loss? Too bad the whole public will have to pay because some folks became addicted to this stuff. I suspect insulin will take another dramatic price increase along with beta blockers and anti depressants to keep these stocks viable

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bolded part. That's the thing.

Long term use of opioids basically "rewires parts of the brain" for lack of a better description. If one stops using it reverts back, but it takes years and it may not even go to a complete normal. It doesn't take years to be altered. This knowledge isn't new. Basically everyone knows this now and those that try to blame it on the pharmas and doctors are full of denial or just flat lying.

Sorry, i don't believe the story was specific to opioid use per se. The main takeaway was that addiction isn't strictly a matter of will, but that things in our brain can basically malfunction. For a normal person, drugs/alcohol/etc turns on the pleasure center and then it turns off (like a light switch). But for others, the switch remains 'on' and being stuck in that position drives people to need more. With help, the switch can be reset to function as it does for others in society.

It's a very interesting story, and one i highly recommend.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you imagine how much drug prices will have to increase to cover this loss? Too bad the whole public will have to pay because some folks became addicted to this stuff. I suspect insulin will take another dramatic price increase along with beta blockers and anti depressants to keep these stocks viable

Seems like you’re talking more about the shortcomings of a system that would rather (literally) kill people than take a financial loss since the same logic could be applied to any attempts at penalizing a pharmaceutical company. Whether you view this lawsuit as valid or invalid, I’d think we’d all agree that the threats of higher drug prices shouldn’t be used as a way to avoid punishments.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their stocks went up 5% after the ruling was handed down

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like you’re talking more about the shortcomings of a system that would rather (literally) kill people than take a financial loss since the same logic could be applied to any attempts at penalizing a pharmaceutical company. Whether you view this lawsuit as valid or invalid, I’d think we’d all agree that the threats of higher drug prices shouldn’t be used as a way to avoid punishments.
Well said

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah market knows they will be able to raise prices now and not be seen as price gouging following the big loss in court. They will probably come out of this Ok. Just another wealth redistribution to attorneys scheme like the tobacco settlement
I'll bet you a Franklin that wont happen.
And I'll tell you why it won't if you'd like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom