Perfect boiled peeled eggs 100% sucess rate for me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems I have done it wrong all these years.

I read some tid bit scientific way to boil eggs.
I normally stuck them into the pan and added hot tap water (my tap water is not so hot that you can't hold your hands under it ,Tank turned down to conserve energy) and stuck them on the stove and began boiling..10 minutes boiling and then remove and drain water and add cool tap water to them and crack and peel.
I would crack many and place them back into the pan of water that is no longer cool because the warm eggs heated it up some.

I would say over 50% of the peeled eggs came out terrible..some were only fit for trash can.

So what I read and you probably know. Is that I needed to add my eggs to BOILING water and bring back to a simmer or boil.

So I also read fresh laid eggs are really difficult to get a nice peeled egg from.

Well I have chickens and only hens ..
I would resort to buying store eggs if I was to make a bunch of deviled eggs.

Now I do not need to do that.

I boiled a big pot of water..added 15 fresh laid eggs (less than a week old) I had enough water that all those refrigerated eggs did not eliminate all the boiling bubbles.
I then removed some water ..as it was 4" above my eggs.. now 1.5" above the eggs I boiled for 11 minutes.
Removed from heat and poured off the hot water and added cold tap water..Rinse 3 times while all eggs still in pot.

Then filled with cold water to 1" above eggs..took out an egg and cracked it all over and placed it back into the pot.
All 15 cracked and in water.. which is warm water now.

I remove an egg and begin to peel it.. peels really nice .Membrane is not stuck to the egg.
Peel under running water or dunk it into the pot of water to wet it again while peeling.

All 15 eggs came out perfect 100% ..I have brown and white eggs both and did not matter.

Finally eggs that are fresh and peel easy.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a video not long ago showing a fool proof way to peel a boiled egg. You put the egg in a glass that's about the size of a large juice glass (not a lot bigger than the egg). Put enough water in there till about half way up the egg. Cover the mouth of the glass with your hand hand shake the heck out of it. It fractures the shell and then just lifts right off in about 3 or 4 big pieces.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the shake it in a glass thing a few times and with my fresh eggs all the eggs became apple sauce with shells mixed in, because the membrane would not let go of the egg white.

Probably because i started cooking them in NON boiling water.
Eggs stink up my house and vinegar would be much worse... well i don't know how much vinegar though.
And making deviled eggs from poached eggs ???

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The method my mom taught me has served me well over the years.

Start with the eggs in cold water, heating over high heat it 'til it reaches a full boil.
Leaving the heat on high, boil the eggs for ten minutes, then turn the heat off and let everything sit for ten minutes.
Dump the water and refill with cold tap water, let it sit for a few seconds, then dump the water and refill with cold water, then dump the water.
Put the lid on the pan and shake it vigorously for a few seconds, then peel the eggs.

If you shake the pan long enough, the eggs will peel themselves, but the shards of shell tend to take gouges out of the eggs in the process, so I normally just shake it long enough to make sure the shells are well cracked and starting to come off of some of the eggs.

If the shell is stubborn, peeling under cold running water works wonders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom