Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Needing some suggestions. I need a new toaster, and some new pots and pans. I spent several hundred dollars on new pots and pans 6 years ago, and the heavy use items are on their last legs. I also need a new toaster. Mine is 7 years old and kinda warms up your bread.

Suggestions? I’m not opposed to spending good money on either of these items. I cook every day, many times multiple times a day. I spent $400 on a zojirushi rice cooker 3 years ago, because all the people I found with them said they would average 15-25 years out of theirs. That’s the kinda longevity I’m looking for. I don’t want to buy another toaster until my kids are in college, and I don’t even have kids yet.

Also, pots and pans. I’m intrigued by copper pots and pans. Real ones, not the infomercial ones. I looked at duparquet, they should last several generations, I’ve seen some that are over 100 years old and they’re made in the US, which is a big plus, but even if I’m buying one at a time as my stuff wears out I can’t swing $500-1200 a pan.
The wife is the authority on that here. However, She got Allclad for all her Gordon Ramsey fanciness and cast iron for pretty much all the rest - Lodge, Le Creuset, and Staub. She gets some French stoneware that's fancy and blue/red for ceramic bake ware. I don't interfere. I am a big cast iron fan because it does last a lifetime if you know how to use it. We have a couple pieces we still use that my mom was cooking on since before I was a hershey bar in my dad's back pocket.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have TFal frying skillets for that no stick. And Old taken care of Cast iron skillets.
TFal last a few years and were rated #1 on cooks country and it is what they use.
I have some Calphalon stainless and some T-Fal pans, and I have no complaints about either.

As far as toasters go, I‘d have to look to see what I bought last time (my mom “borrowed” it a few years ago, lol), but it was probably a Walmarts special. The only thing special about it is that it’s a 4-slice toaster that will handle bagels, but it wasn’t particularly expensive. It’s around six years old, IIRC, and was still working the last time I used it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my mother a set of Calphalon hard anodized pans. Their bestest set. They are the only "non-stick" pans that appear to actually hold up and do what they claim. There are some caveats. Those are metal utensils and dishwashers.

Their new "Ultimate" pans are supposedly approved for all that but their normal anodized pans will have a voided lifetime warranty on their very first trip through the dishwasher. Otherwise they actually seem to do what you see on all the infomercials and that garbage they peddle, at least for the most part. They are definitely good pans.

But I still like my Lodge cast iron, both regular and enameled for various things. Cast iron is pretty danged non-stick if you know how to maintain and use them. Cheap too...

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For lasting Cast iron is king, although my wife managed to break a 12 inch skillet I had had since I moved out at 18, and cast iron can not do everything. I have some Hexclad salute pans and wok that I really really like, they have outlasted my Heinkle Ceramic set and a calphalons ceramic set by an order of magnitude. I also have some reverse ware stainless that I got used and is likely older then me but the handles are not oven safe. My wife hates both stainless and cast iron and won't cook on it.

Toasters and foster ovens seem to be pretty cheap these days. I think I have bought one from most major manufacturers, they seem to get like 2-3 years max. I do recommend getting one that has convection (same thing as air frying). I miss my full size convection oven from my old house something aweful

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this is not anywhere near my "wheelhouse," the wife really likes her Breville convection oven. In addition to using it as an oven, she does my toast in it as well.

Breville Countertop Ovens

As for knives, we also have the Cutco knives, however, ours date back to when we first bought them in 1969. Since we are nearing our 54th wedding anniversary, those knives have lasted us for 53 years and the only one that has ever needed replacing was the paring knife.

All that said, I can't speak to how the Cutco knives are in the modern age.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Staub enameled cast iron cookware (or LeCreuset...I prefer Staub) but this also applies to LC). But only the made-in-France stuff (they have some stuff that's made in China). Staub enameled case iron is damn near bullet proof and cooks amazingly well. It's heirloom quality stuff. I have several pieces and don't regret spending the $$ they get for the stuff.

Knives...I bought some Wusthof knives piece by piece a few years ago. Amazing steel and simple to keep sharp.
If you ever look for top-quality dinnerware, look at Denby. It's all handmade in England and it's not only gorgeous it's functional. Great, great stuff.

My kitchen at my place in Olustee was the equivalent of a kid putting $5000 tires/wheels on a $500 car! :) I learned a long time ago the value of top quality equipment whether it's kitchen stuff or tools or guns or whatever.

Also hard to go wrong with KitchenAid appliances, I've found.

I love the basil green color on the Staub stuff. This is the 4 (or 5) qt Dutch oven...

20191122_165237.jpg

20191122_123244.jpg

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Staub enameled cast iron cookware (or LeCreuset...I prefer Staub) but this also applies to LC). But only the made-in-France stuff (they have some stuff that's made in China). Staub enameled case iron is damn near bullet proof and cooks amazingly well. It's heirloom quality stuff. I have several pieces and don't regret spending the $$ they get for the stuff.

Knives...I bought some Wusthof knives piece by piece a few years ago. Amazing steel and simple to keep sharp.
If you ever look for top-quality dinnerware, look at Denby. It's all handmade in England and it's not only gorgeous it's functional. Great, great stuff.

My kitchen at my place in Olustee was the equivalent of a kid putting $5000 tires/wheels on a $500 car! :) I learned a long time ago the value of top quality equipment whether it's kitchen stuff or tools or guns or whatever.

Also hard to go wrong with KitchenAid appliances, I've found.

I love the basil green color on the Staub stuff. This is the 4 (or 5) qt Dutch oven...

View attachment 329591

View attachment 329593
Nice rustic loaf!

Latest posts

Top Bottom