Process for selling a handgun - dealer v. private

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistersolis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to sell my Beretta PX4 Storm and was curious to know what the process is for doing that and if it's different if I took it to a dealer/pawn shop versus selling to an individual on the forum itself. I'm completely new to the selling process so I was wanting to see if someone could point out some quick details and if there are any benefits to doing it one way or another. I didn't post this in the classified section because it's more of a question about process than an actual ad itself at this point.

Any input be it short or lengthy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FTF - you hand them the gun, they hand you the cash. done.

using a dealer/pawn to do a transfer means the buyer does paperwork and someone pays the FFL transfer fee. you end up with money, they end up with gun (if they can pass background). done

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not sell if you KNOW that the person is under 18, from out of state, a convicted felon, mentally unstable, and otherwise not legally able to own a gun. You are not under any obligation to verify, though a quick driver's license check for the first two is on the reasonable side of cautious especially if you have reason to believe they may not pass (young buyer, out of state car).

Also note that aviator41 said "cash" and did not say checks, money orders, credit cards, IOUs, magic beans or Obama Dollars.

If you are going to sell to a dealer/pawn shop then you undoubtedly will be getting less money. Don't do it.

If you want to sell through a dealer/pawn (FFL) then you need to line them up before hand, determine if they are willing to do the transfer, and what the associated fees. Also beware that a majority of people will not be interested in going through the unneeded hoop to purchase a used firearm. If you don't disclose this upfront the majority of people would be pissed :-)

If you are paranoid about selling to wrong person, you can either sell to the dealer/pawn above, or you can sell only to police officers and those with a carry license. That will narrow your customer base, but not as much as forcing an FFL transfer.

As far as benefits, FTF will get you more money, though it also may give you more hassle as people don't follow through on their promises (like any classified ads buying/selling activities). Direct to dealer/pawn will get you taken care of quickly, though a bargain price on this forum will also do that too.

zedster

Marksman
Reaction score
I would NEVER do a FTF transfer, this is the beginning of being a irresponsible gun owner. I love going to the guns shows here in OKC and watching all the idiots getting busted for selling and buying guns illegally. Cover your ass with paperwork and a back ground check. Go to Sooner State Pawn with the buyer, make them fill out an FFL (only $10, cheapest around ;) ) and do it right. Or just go to Sooner and see how much they will give you for the weapon up front. Do not go to a local gun store or whoever and do any type consignment, you will only loose money.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would NEVER do a FTF transfer, this is the beginning of being a irresponsible gun owner. I love going to the guns shows here in OKC and watching all the idiots getting busted for selling and buying guns illegally. Cover your ass with paperwork and a back ground check. Go to Sooner State Pawn with the buyer, make them fill out an FFL (only $10, cheapest around ;) ) and do it right. Or just go to Sooner and see how much they will give you for the weapon up front. Do not go to a local gun store or whoever and do any type consignment, you will only loose money.
You're a moron

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is the dumbest thing I have heard from a member on this board in a long time. I have spent a lot of time at gun shows and bought/sold a bunch of guns over the last 20 years and have never seen anyone get busted for selling illegal firearms, nor have I had any odd FTF experiences. I know whose ads to avoid now.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
imgur.com_tCp90.gif

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every FTF transaction I've done has been with OSA members, and I've had nothing but good experiences. I try and stick with those that have been OSA member's for awhile. As for the transaction....we have this conversation all the time....just do a search and you'll see. For me it's cash and carry (no felons..underage...etc). Do what you feel comfortable with. My suggestion would be to make sure the person you are dealing with knows what you expect up front. I wouldn't wait until you meet to ask for a DNA test.

:ou

Latest posts

Top Bottom