Purchasing 9mm for a rifle when under 21 years of age

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am over 18, therefore I can legally purchase "rifle" ammunition. I am also under 21, therefore I cannot legally purchase "handgun" ammunition. I am planning to go to Academy to purchase some of that cheap ammo that has been discussed on here recently for my Keltec 9mm rifle, but I am expecting the Academy worker to consider 9mm as only a "handgun" caliber.

Any ideas on how to convince/prove it's for a rifle? Or do you guys even think it will be an issue?

Thanks for your thoughts

-Brad

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
LOL, When I used to buy ammo, I would always tell them the opposite of what they expected. I'd buy .38 or 9mm, and they say "this is for a pistol right?" so I'd say it was for a rifle. Not too many stares fro that, but they always jumped when I'd get .243 or .223 and say it was for a handgun. I got a kick out of that.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty slick idea, Peterson. Maybe if you weren't such a cute little boy you could pull it off by yourself?

Ha, the guys at Ozark shouldn't have a problem with you.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty slick idea, Peterson. Maybe if you weren't such a cute little boy you could pull it off by yourself?

Ha, the guys at Ozark shouldn't have a problem with you.

I'm sure a big ginger like you could pull it off for me, haha. Yeah, I bought from them before, and had no issues. Guess that's where we're headed this afternoon!

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Outdoor America a couple years ago to get some 44 mag for my puma 92 with no luck. I understand that they have to follow the laws, but it was a 44MAG.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wal-Mart will (supposed to and cash register prompts them) ask if is this for a pistol or a rifle when buying pistol calibers. Last time I bought 9mm the older gentleman working the register asked and I said rifle for the hell of it. He came back with "I aint never heard of a 9mm rifle!" I grinned and said never heard of a 9mm carbine? Then he went on about something back in the war, I just smiled and paid.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wal-Mart will (supposed to and cash register prompts them) ask if is this for a pistol or a rifle when buying pistol calibers. Last time I bought 9mm the older gentleman working the register asked and I said rifle for the hell of it. He came back with "I aint never heard of a 9mm rifle!" I grinned and said never heard of a 9mm carbine? Then he went on about something back in the war, I just smiled and paid.

I thought about walmart because when I buy .22lr, I always say it's for a rifle. It usually is for my 10/22, but I definitely shoot it with my .22 revolver. I didn't know if it would be different since .22 is mostly "rifle" and 9mm is mostly "handgun"

Thanks Tul9033!

Latest posts

Top Bottom