Question on home purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience buying a house when no realtor was involved to facilitate the paperwork for closing?
I'm looking at a house that is a FSBO and just wanted to learn any tips I can. I assume the Title Co. will do their part and make sure everything is copasetic before closing.
I would hire an inspector but other than that, I can't think of anything else.
No appraisal needed because I will be writing a check myself so no financing red tape to mess with.
Anything I am missing? Do I just need to contact the Title Co. and initiate the process?

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title/closing company will handle scheduling of required inspections; etc. and will be a good source to answer any questions you might have about the process. I strongly suggest you hire an experienced attorney to go over the documents prior to closing, however- they might charge upwards of $500 or so (or more), but it will be money well spent.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title/closing company will handle scheduling of required inspections; etc. and will be a good source to answer any questions you might have about the process. I strongly suggest you hire an experienced attorney to go over the documents prior to closing, however- they might charge upwards of $500 or so (or more), but it will be money well spent.
Why would there be anything "required" like inspections? I mean I require it but there is no lending institution involved to require anything.
The title company has a legal team and they guarantee the title, do they not?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would there be anything "required" like inspections? I mean I require it but there is no lending institution involved to require anything.
The title company has a legal team and they guarantee the title, do they not?
Yes and no. The title insurance is there more to protect the bank than you.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one recently with no realtor or lender. I did the inspections myself. I’m a heat and air contractor, but have done a lot of electrical, plumbing, framing, and other stuff growing up.

I researched the title myself at the court house for taxes, liens and etc, although it may be prudent to get title insurance through a title company.

We drew up a quit claim deed and had it notarized. Filed at the courthouse for like $80. It was done and done. Good luck. If you have questions let me know.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buying a home is, for most people, the largest single investment they will make. Retain an experienced real estate lawyer to help you. There are a lot of pitfalls most folks don't think about,the cost of a lawyer will be worth it in the long run, either by catching something before the deal is closed or the peace of mind that an experienced lawyer helped you through it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one recently with no realtor or lender. I did the inspections myself. I’m a heat and air contractor, but have done a lot of electrical, plumbing, framing, and other stuff growing up.

I researched the title myself at the court house for taxes, liens and etc, although it may be prudent to get title insurance through a title company.

We drew up a quit claim deed and had it notarized. Filed at the courthouse for like $80. It was done and done. Good luck. If you have questions let me know.
So you didnt use a Title co. at all?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought another one a few months ago, as is, with no realtor involved. The forms are pretty simple and should be available online. Make sure that every single thing is stated on the paperwork, even if it is "as is". Also, make sure that the abstract is up to date if you're doing everything yourself. If you're going through a bank for the mortgage, then they will provide just about everything for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom