Questions about buying half a cow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone ever buy a side of beef? or know where to go about getting one in the Tulsa area. Do you end up saving money, or is it just convenient? What are the pro's and cons. Just looking for suggestions and ideas/advice.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you add in price per pound for steaks and etc. at the grocery store, you save money.

Con is you pay a big bill for meat all at once, even if it is slightly cheaper for what you get. Also have to have a freezer to store it.

Pro is you get fresh meat that I think taste better then going to the grocery store. Also get all the fancy steaks, that I normally wouldn't buy. Also a plus is you control the amount of fat your burger gets. We like it lean, which cost more at a store.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad bought a side of beef from my grandfather years ago, and my brother bought one from someone in the Slaughterville area not long ago (they were parents/in-laws of someone at his work). The big plus when you buy a side of beef is that you're usually dealing directly with the folks who raised it, so you know exactly what you're getting (grass fed vs. corn fed, whether or not they used antibiotics, etc).

You might PM TurkeyRun; I don't recall if he's in that part of the state, but I think that's his line of business.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you add in price per pound for steaks and etc. at the grocery store, you save money.
Pro is you get fresh meat that I think taste better then going to the grocery store. Also get all the fancy steaks, that I normally wouldn't buy. Also a plus is you control the amount of fat your burger gets. We like it lean, which cost more at a store.

Not necessarily so....The price per pound is averaged on the whole side...so while you get the steaks a bit cheaper than buying steaks outright at the store, you are also paying more per pound for the cheaper cuts of which there are more pounds of than pounds of steak.

You are also paying the same price per pound for everything that is thrown away. Such as bones, and fat. Can't use much of the fat if you want lean ground beef.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy one every 1.5 years or so. LAst us 3 that long. I buy it cause its really good meat. This one I just ordered is costing me $6/lb. That means all that hamburger is $6 and so are the rib-eyes. Probably workes out the same as if you bought it all at the store but its so much better. I'm tired of buying it at that price so I soon will have 2 heifers dropping a calf once a year.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke to one of my patients once who was a butcher and I asked him if he got the bet cuts and he said, "We ate well." Aside from that, I would buy a side of beed if I had a family, one can choose what he wants tomorrow and take it out of the freezer today to thaw. And you can tell the processing place how thick you want the steaks and how big the roasts are. I would want the cuts vacuum packed if possible.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ewww. Thats gross.

img.pandawhale.com_68919_cow_split_in_half_gif_qxaA.gif

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy one every 1.5 years or so. LAst us 3 that long. I buy it cause its really good meat. This one I just ordered is costing me $6/lb. That means all that hamburger is $6 and so are the rib-eyes. Probably workes out the same as if you bought it all at the store but its so much better. I'm tired of buying it at that price so I soon will have 2 heifers dropping a calf once a year.

Lesbian cows won't drop a calf. Lol
Just giving you a hard time. You know how city slickers are, they would keep em a year and wonder why they ain't having babies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom