Recovery that didnt go as planned, lessons to be learned....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not me fortunately and that guy was almost a statistic.

Screenshot_20240305_195050_Facebook.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not me fortunately and that guy was almost a statistic.

View attachment 459571

As a dedicated off roader, I've seen that way too often. Usually results in a busted front grill or a windshield busted.
There are a ton of things to prevent this situation. #1 is don't use cheap tow ropes to try and snatch a vehicle that is stuck. They are called tow ropes because they are meant to tow, not snatch/recover a vehicle.
They may be rated 15,000 lbs but when getting some slack in the rope and getting a run with the tow vehicle to pull out the stuck one, the stresses will more than triple that.
Hence the above situation.
My Nylon Snatch rope is 2" in diameter and 20' long. Takes a lot of room but will take a tractor or bigger truck out of a ditch if not buried too bad. It will also pull the bumper off the tow vehicle if the stuck vehicle is stuck really bad. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL!
I've backed up to a stuck vehicle, attached the rope, gave it a 10' run with a slack rope at full throttle, and pulled them out. The vehicle getting pulled out feels nothing but coming out. No jerk, nothing. 2" rope gets to about 3/4" in diameter, then they just come out. Amazing to watch that.
Buddy and I used to go out and see how bad we could get stuck with our 4WD's using the other to get us out, which is redneck entertainment. I acknowledge that and accept that it's my type of fun at times.
Typically snow drifts and sometimes mud to see what our vehicles could do and not do.
Next time one of y'all go around your county yard with the road graders, etc, check out the ropes they use. Mine is getting old and probably needing replaced. This thread prompted me to look on Amazon.
There are some out there that are smaller than mine with more breaking resistance.

https://www.bubbarope.com/recovery-ropes/jumbo-bubba-20-foot#145=

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bronco guy admitted he looped his soft shackle not through a Clevis but where the Clevis attaches to the bumper. That mount has sharp edges. BUT the Jeep guy was a blooming idiot getting that kind of a run on a Kinetic Energy Rope.

Both parties played a part in it. People die doing stupid **** offroad.

If you know nothing about Kinetic Energy Pull Ropes, read up on them. They are a tremendous asset if used correctly. So much safer than using chains.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The Bronco guy admitted he looped his soft shackle not through a Clevis but where the Clevis attaches to the bumper. That mount has sharp edges. BUT the Jeep guy was a blooming idiot getting that kind of a run on a Kinetic Energy Rope.

Both parties played a part in it. People die doing stupid **** offroad.

If you know nothing about Kinetic Energy Pull Ropes, read up on them. They are a tremendous asset if used correctly. So much safer than using chains.

That's how to use a kinetic rope, it just exceeded the capabilities of the parts in use, combined with the attachment. Why they just didn't use the winch I have no idea.

We use a 30' 200k LB jerk straps on the farm. That tractor is going about 18mph when it hits the end. If it's not out in 3 pulls, we call for a dozer.

Screenshot_20240306_091135_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom