Are we simply broken?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The engine of history. Some of you are older, and will be fortunate to avoid what's coming.
11e3e0af56ab60a214f5a7a1ac6963a69eebe0f0f51b45a05c027f9b361087ab_1.jpg

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on my phone today and was presented with an ad from "hellomood.co" for a legal high. This is an organization in OKC that is openly advertising the ability to harness THC in an edible that "...have to watch how much I eat or the high will catch up to me."...

We have spent decades working to combat the societal and personal effects of drinking for intoxication. In our rush to be whatever it is our population believes it wants and needs to be, are we increasingly abandoning the lessons of history? I smoked for 22 years and, fortunately do not have recurring medical concerns. My cousin recreationally smoked weed for the same period and now is diagnosed with what could be described as black lung. Not a significant sample, but we are demonizing the effects of tobacco, only to embrace, again, a historical lesson, already learned.

Are we simply broken at this point?
Yep, 420

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend Empire of Pain if you want to take a deep dive into the history of the opioid crisis and the family that developed the drugs.

It covers a lot about how we got to this point, including a lot of the internal practices and marketing tactics used during the drug boom. It starts slow but eventually spends a lot of time on how the drugs development relates to the current problems with fentanyl and highly regulated access to opioids now.
And unfortunately them being highly regulated had caused massive crime and massive overdose rates. Anytime the feds tighten their noose things always get worse. Think about prohibition. Really worked didn’t it? As was already said, we should be able to put into our bodies whatever we want. I don’t need the government to “protect” me. We wouldn’t have all the problems we do if drugs were NOT regulated.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picture this, I saw an episode on forensic files where a guy killed his wife with nicotine. He somehow extracted the nicotine out of about 10-20 cigarettes and injected the liquid behind her ear and it killed her within 30 minutes. I had no idea you could overdose and die from nicotine.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picture this, I saw an episode on forensic files where a guy killed his wife with nicotine. He somehow extracted the nicotine out of about 10-20 cigarettes and injected the liquid behind her ear and it killed her within 30 minutes. I had no idea you could overdose and die from nicotine.
Throw a bunch of butts in a small bucket of water and let the nicotine leach out for a couple days. Put the nasty water in a spray bottle and you have a great insecticide for your tomato plants.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw a bunch of butts in a small bucket of water and let the nicotine leach out for a couple days. Put the nasty water in a spray bottle and you have a great insecticide for your tomato plants.
Great insecticide, but not for tomato plants due to tobacco mosaic virus. I would only recommend this for plants not in the Solanaceae family.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And unfortunately them being highly regulated had caused massive crime and massive overdose rates. Anytime the feds tighten their noose things always get worse. Think about prohibition. Really worked didn’t it? As was already said, we should be able to put into our bodies whatever we want. I don’t need the government to “protect” me. We wouldn’t have all the problems we do if drugs were NOT regulated.
I would recommend you read the book then. Amongst other things were arguably shady business practices that did things like tell doctors that the opioids were less powerful and addictive than morphine, couldn't be abused for an immediate hit because of a time release coating (yet knew internally that the coating could be licked off or ground up and snorted) or that some communities were receiving amounts of the drugs that were improbably high (like 106 prescriptions per 100 people high).

Certainly there is an argument for regulation, amounts of regulations and deregulation but it isn't a one-sided issue. And there is certainly a discussion to be had about if the crime is a result of the crackdown or a result of the problems created by the opioid epidemic (and the causes).

My views on MJ have certainly softened over years of watching my wife try to find a cure or treatment for an unrelenting headache. But i take issue with people discussing what is going on with opioids as strictly being about government regulations when there is an entire backstory about how we got here (and the responsibilities of corporate america) that needs to be considered if we want to have a clear picture for a path forward

Latest posts

Top Bottom