Are we simply broken?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20 years ago i worked at a company in Tulsa, i had 15 years on my boss and 20 years on the people i worked with, the group did not hide it they smoked weed at lunch time and besides our hour lunch they took an extra half hour before being able to do even a small amount of work.

One young man a really nice person did not seem to care much about the type work we did, but boss liked him and asked me to help him along as he was a new Grad from OSU.

As i said he was a nice person we got along even if i kept turning down his offer of weed, i did notice he always had a lot of money and came in one day with a really super new auto.

I knew none of us was making what you might call good money it was none of my bizwax where he was getting his good sized cash.

One day he came over and said i know your married and have two girls and maybe you could use some extra cash, then told me he had a group still going to OSU that he sold weed to and he was growing his weed at his fathers farm and he offered me a chance to use some of the land to grow my weed and would help me find customers, told me with just around 15 customers he cleared close to $5 grand a Month and sometimes around $8 grand.

I just laughed and told him i knew zero about making money with weed and wanted to stay knowing zero about it, i did thank him for his offer but added it might someday get you in deep trouble.

Soon i received a better offer of a job and left the company, about six Months later i got a call from him, said he was in deep trouble he had taken the son of the companys CEO with him to OSU to deliver some weed, and their campus police stopped them and found the weed, and turned them over to the local police, he got fired from work and needed a good Attorney, i gave him the name of one i knew but told him i was not sure he did criminal defence.

This was the last time i ever heard form him i have thought a few times maybe i missed out on a lot of money Ha! Ha! well thoughts don't get you in prison.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if you understand the difference between a private group insurer and a pubic social entitlement and why one is OK and the other isn't .

Let me break it down for you in abstract terms.

I on my group insurance am not creating a load on the tax payer by paying my premiums and using that care when I need to. Whether or not one of the insured opts to use the coverage they are paying for as a member of that plan is completely moot. No one is being compelled to be a member of the insurance plan and yes that is how private insurance works , the company knows there is a percentage of the insured in the plan who will not use their coverage and there is a percentage who will use it to varying levels. Actuaries game this stuff all the time to figure out how insurance companies are going to make money .

Well...... you're creating a load on everyone in that insurance pool, whom are likely tax payers. "Potheads" don't blow up insurance pools, diet related diseases do. That's a fact nobody can dispute.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 20 years ago i worked at a company in Tulsa, i had 15 years on my boss and 20 years on the people i worked with, the group did not hide it they smoked weed at lunch time and besides our hour lunch they took an extra half hour before being able to do even a small amount of work.

One young man a really nice person did not seem to care much about the type work we did, but boss liked him and asked me to help him along as he was a new Grad from OSU.

As i said he was a nice person we got along even if i kept turning down his offer of weed, i did notice he always had a lot of money and came in one day with a really super new auto.

I knew none of us was making what you might call good money it was none of my bizwax where he was getting his good sized cash.

One day he came over and said i know your married and have two girls and maybe you could use some extra cash, then told me he had a group still going to OSU that he sold weed to and he was growing his weed at his fathers farm and he offered me a chance to use some of the land to grow my weed and would help me find customers, told me with just around 15 customers he cleared close to $5 grand a Month and sometimes around $8 grand.

I just laughed and told him i knew zero about making money with weed and wanted to stay knowing zero about it, i did thank him for his offer but added it might someday get you in deep trouble.

Soon i received a better offer of a job and left the company, about six Months later i got a call from him, said he was in deep trouble he had taken the son of the companys CEO with him to OSU to deliver some weed, and their campus police stopped them and found the weed, and turned them over to the local police, he got fired from work and needed a good Attorney, i gave him the name of one i knew but told him i was not sure he did criminal defence.

This was the last time i ever heard form him i have thought a few times maybe i missed out on a lot of money Ha! Ha! well thoughts don't get you in prison.
Sounds like they took a real menace to society off the streets.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if you understand the difference between a private group insurer and a pubic social entitlement and why one is OK and the other isn't .

Let me break it down for you in abstract terms.

I on my group insurance am not creating a load on the tax payer by paying my premiums and using that care when I need to. Whether or not one of the insured opts to use the coverage they are paying for as a member of that plan is completely moot. No one is being compelled to be a member of the insurance plan and yes that is how private insurance works , the company knows there is a percentage of the insured in the plan who will not use their coverage and there is a percentage who will use it to varying levels. Actuaries game this stuff all the time to figure out how insurance companies are going to make money .

When you sign up on Medicaid or Medicare or one of the subsidized public exchange plans, your care is being paid for by tax payer. I as a tax payer have no option but to end up paying to support Willie Weed Smoker or Mary Methhead when they get on the welfare teat after years of bad life choices.
You are still paying premiums to your group though whether you use the service or not. Extreme example is that everyone in your group is 5' tall, 450lbs, chain smokes, drinks and is type 1 diabetic and all are on the verge of renal failure except for you who is an Iron Man competitor who takes care of themselves, and has no family history of CHD or cancer. You can't tell me that your premiums wouldn't be cheaper if everyone in your group were like you. They create the need for higher premiums for everyone. All private insurers have differing rates for the same person because of other factors involved.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only real reason Oklahoma is legalizing marijuana 'WEED" is for the tax money, they our states leaders don't give a damn about anyone health and they really care less about any childs health.

It really doesn't matter how much they tax it, the costs because of it will always outweigh any potential benefit.

POT is only part of the "Are we simply broken?" issue. It is a part that is accelerating us closer to more broken, but it isn't the only issue. Generation after generation the quality, character, and ethics of our citizens is diminishing. The whole is made up of the parts.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are still paying premiums to your group though whether you use the service or not. Extreme example is that everyone in your group is 5' tall, 450lbs, chain smokes, drinks and is type 1 diabetic and all are on the verge of renal failure except for you who is an Iron Man competitor who takes care of themselves, and has no family history of CHD or cancer. You can't tell me that your premiums wouldn't be cheaper if everyone in your group were like you. They create the need for higher premiums for everyone. All private insurers have differing rates for the same person because of other factors involved.

I would also just like to add that someone would have to be pretty naive to think that what "private" insurance carriers are doing does not effect the American taxpayer at least in some way.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter how much they tax it, the costs because of it will always outweigh any potential benefit.

POT is only part of the "Are we simply broken?" issue. It is a part that is accelerating us closer to more broken, but it isn't the only issue. Generation after generation the quality, character, and ethics of our citizens is diminishing. The whole is made up of the parts.
That's it i agree the men and the woman today show signs of lack of ethics and of poor character, there more into social media playing stupid games on their high dollar phones, then trying to better themselves.

When you have children as yound as 15 becoming gang members, and then shooting a 16 year old fellow classmate there has to be a reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom