Rural Internet options ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to have AtLink but finally got Uverse about 4 years ago. I'm praying that Cimarron Electric has fiber plans or Att runs fiber out our way soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to have AtLink but finally got Uverse about 4 years ago. I'm praying that Cimarron Electric has fiber plans or Att runs fiber out our way soon.
What exactly does AT&T offer on fiber optics that's fast?

I had 44k dialup until AT&T ran fiber optics out here. I now get 28k on a good day. Argued with 'em for a couple years, and they finally said they're only required by FCC to supply 19.2k for voice transmission. No DSL available here either.

They've offered me nuthin' ... :/

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I had 44k dialup until AT&T ran fiber optics out here. I now get 28k on a good day. Argued with 'em for a couple years, and they finally said they're only required by FCC to supply 19.2k for voice transmission. No DSL available here either.

The fiber you have available is different. They are looking at short copper run FTTN or Fiber to the Node or even better FTTC or FTTH Curb or Home. Your is a FTTN with long copper runs after that and still probably using the old inductor cans where basically all the lines share power which makes DSL impossible. Technically with FTTN it should have allowed the same speeds or better but honestly if they dropped the quality down to support more lines that won't be the case. With the way rural lines are setup DSL just isn't available. The one thing you could do is find somewhere nearby that does have a decent high speed connection and if you can work with some neighbors bounce the signal in. Otherwise the option where you are at is satellite which is still better than dial up in a lot of ways but you have to shift time of use to certain hours and they will probably complain about your old XP boxes and say they can't make it work which is BS, I can put a windows 3.1 box online and make it work but that doesn't mean it will work well, LOL.

To reduce your data consumption on a satellite connection you just setup a caching proxy so that you can take the things that are served again and again and instead of pulling them down just feed from the cache. Another thing to look for is a lot of times they have free periods during the early morning hours and setup things to download during those times so that you don't use your cap.

You may try and look at http://arbucklecomm.com/ to see if they have something that covers you. The bad thing is where your place is you may have to buy a small tower and get it setup to have access I know they have access in Lebanon and from what I can tell a 15M tall tower should be able to get line of sight to there with minimal issue. If they do potentially have service with a tower you may be able to get them to use it as a rebroadcast point for your neighbors and get service at a reduced rate as well.

And if anyone wants to see if they can setup a link something like this https://link.ui.com/ works wonders, just put in the two points select the equipment and then a tower height on each end.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks John. :)

Putting up a tower here is also a problem. We're on one of the highest points in the county, and lightning strikes are an issue. Most (all?) of our larger trees have lightning scars, and we actually had a fire started in the living room years ago when lightning struck our CB antenna (the bottom of it was just above the roof line).

Fortunately (lol, I think?) the coax was disconnected and laying in the floor, but the strike jumped to our stereo and a lamp (both were destroyed). And there is still melted coax in the wall that I can't pull out.

I know it sounds like I'm in the twilight zone or something, but it just is what it is. :/

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the tower is well grounded and a surge suppressor installed in line on the cat5 it shouldn't be an issue. At the same time if the WISP installs the equipment on the tower it's their problem to deal with. You can also do a little fancy trickery and do a media change to fiber optic killing any chance of lightning issues.

So basically run power up the tower and then run fiber into wherever you want to use it. https://amzn.to/2vIwOHq Just gotta grab a set of cables to link the two and you are basically lightning safe https://amzn.to/391sCku Just mount the outdoor section in a dry box along with any power stuff.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the tower is well grounded and a surge suppressor installed in line on the cat5 it shouldn't be an issue. At the same time if the WISP installs the equipment on the tower it's their problem to deal with. You can also do a little fancy trickery and do a media change to fiber optic killing any chance of lightning issues.

So basically run power up the tower and then run fiber into wherever you want to use it. https://amzn.to/2vIwOHq Just gotta grab a set of cables to link the two and you are basically lightning safe https://amzn.to/391sCku Just mount the outdoor section in a dry box along with any power stuff.
Yeah... but there are varying degrees of lightning strikes. Direct hits can be impossible to contain. One was enough for me. :D

Attachments

• lightning_hits_tree2.jpg
    lightning_hits_tree2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 100

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks @NightShade for explaining this much better than I could . . . :)

The crazy thing about our situation is that we've lived hear for over 12 years. As far as I know AT&T never added or changed anything, but we suddenly had DSL available.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks @NightShade for explaining this much better than I could . . . :)

The crazy thing about our situation is that we've lived hear for over 12 years. As far as I know AT&T never added or changed anything, but we suddenly had DSL available.
Lol. No problem. And the stuff they do work on happens at random to us mere mortals. They can knife in fiber without hardly anyone actually knowing it's there, leave it laying dormant for years, and then suddenly go throw in an RT and give nearby people the option of DSL

Latest posts

Top Bottom