Safe suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a safe from https://www.patriotsafe.com/ . I'm VERY impressed with the quality, fit and finish, etc....I purchased the L.E.O Closet 18 gun safe. I think the deciding factor was the lifetime unlimited warranty on ALL parts of the safe for the original owner. Worth checking out. They have all different sizes and several different models.....My safe weighs 600 lbs. and my wife and I were able to bring it inside with a dolly...a struggle? hell yes but got er done with a hand truck...Also shipped quickly and got here in less time than they said.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, what do bear safes cost? I find nothing about their pricing on the net. Really frustrating.

The 73"x46" model is $4000.

Also, what is a minimum weight to have?

I wouldn't buy one that isn't at least 1000#. And if one you're looking at is made of 12ga steel, it will take a crook no time to pry it open.

Nope!!....On the Bear website they say they don't need no stinkin testing.

I'll be spending my money on something that is tested. Sorry Bear.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Bear, my Dad has a Bear, a very good friend has a Bear that withstood 3 screw drivers, a sledgehammer and a crowbar. Bastardo's just scratched the paint and left empty handed. They are excellent safes for the money.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are going to get a bunch of opinions....go with what works for you. Check out patriot safes... I paid $1300 for mine. They have some that aren't as expensive.....so you could probably stay within your budget.....Academy Sports has a good selection. Atwoods had some nice ones on sale here the other day also......

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are ton of factors in choosing the right safe for you. Ask yourself. What is the value of what you are wanting to protect? If its just a modern rifle and a couple of glocks then I'd make sure they were covered on your homeowners insurance / renters and go to lowes and get a cheap sentury and bolt it down. As much as people knock the 300 safe it does keep someone from just walking off with whats inside.

If you have Heirloom's,irreplaceable items or thousands of dollars worth of guns then I'd get the most safe I could afford. The Dakota is a fine starting point and when you get ready to upgrade it should easily sell for 90 percent of what you bought it for used

TurboSixPiston

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the smallest long-gun capable Bear safe, with all of the shelves in it you're looking at 5 long guns. They will build any interior you want, take a few shelves out or cut them a different shape and use some barrel rods and you can get your 8 rifles plus 10 handguns in.

Bear's fire capabilities are very good, and their security is outstanding. I think my safe with all the fire stuff weighs something like 570. Without it's about 275. As I said it's the smallest you can fit a long gun in and with the fire protection cost just over a grand with tax. Without fire it was much less expensive. Interior dimensions are 14 wide by 22 deep by 57 high. It doesn't sound like much but I can cram alot of stuff in it with some thinking.

Bear will buy back your safe if you upgrade to another of their safes later on, they will give you what you paid. I don't know if that includes tax, but it's still a hell of a deal.

Call Bear. Tell them what you want, they will spend time to help you figure it out. They spent hours with me going through what I asked, they have my business for life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom