School Budget Cuts..help me out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottydog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The general fund, and for some programs grant funds, are what pay salaries which are usually the largest annual expense a district has. So if you increase staff to educate and support a student population which has grown over time(also mandated, and you factor in state mandated salary tables(Which are lowest in the area states, and maybe near the bottom of the nation, just don't have exact figures right now), then cut the funding that pays for those salaries to below what it was 5 years prior (because the legislature won't vote to increase or fund the needed deficit) you place a district in distress.

Then you lose the more experienced and well trained teachers to other states, thus lowering the quality of education here, even further.

In a state where we already have one of the lowest expenditures of dollars for students yet have to meet a national college and career ready graduation expectation this is a serious issue.

Very True.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks cznick!!!

So..on average a little over 100k. Then there are bonuses for some superintendents...housing, vehicle, ...etc. Hmmm..100k times how many superintendents=how much money??

Again...do we really need that many superintendents???? Again, couldn't one per county or even divide the county into halves...so 2 per county.

Next time you hear or read about budget cuts in Oklahoma schools...think...just think about what I've posted.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks cznick!!!

So..on average a little over 100k. Then there are bonuses for some superintendents...housing, vehicle, ...etc. Hmmm..100k times how many superintendents=how much money??

Again...do we really need that many superintendents???? Again, couldn't one per county or even divide the county into halves...so 2 per county.

Next time you hear or read about budget cuts in Oklahoma schools...think...just think about what I've posted.

In some counties it might work in some it wouldn't

Your span of control becomes too large to effectively manage the organization, in smaller districts your Super is often a multi hatting executive i.e. the CEO/CFO/CIO and often times responsible for preparing budgets directly as well rather than having financial directors and staff to do the work.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the trend in some Oklahoma public school districts to use taxpayers' money in the form of bond issues to fund some awesome athletic facilities.

Cedar Creek

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cutting government jobs... now you're speaking my language.

Kyle, cutting athletics is a great idea too. If the government privatized school athletics, parents would come out of the woodwork to support private leagues. Most sports for the younger kids are already private.

osumark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as the lottery goes, the state of oklahoma allows a certain about of money for education. For round numbers let just say 50,000,000. The state uses lottery money to get to that number, but not matter how much lottery money comes in, the state will not give the schools a scent more than the fiscal year budget.

Actual we found out our school was going get 300k from windmills in July. The State decided they would then give us 140k less in January because of the additional income. Our school now has to go borrow money from a bank to finish out the school year.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut Athletics and all coaches. BOOM, lots of money for extra teachers.

Cutting government jobs... now you're speaking my language.

Kyle, cutting athletics is a great idea too. If the government privatized school athletics, parents would come out of the woodwork to support private leagues. Most sports for the younger kids are already private.

Not sure what you think all coaches are making but it ain't that much for the amount of work some of us put into it. During wrestling season alone I'm putting in 40+ hours per week in addition to my hours in and out of the classroom as a teacher. Based on my stipend that means I'm around 4$ an hour for all of my effort.

Maybe we can cut a few people from your office and you can donate those salaries to the school district of your choice. Or maybe just raise taxes. Or perhaps some parents can stop their whining and step up to the plate and do whatever is necessary to insure that public education has what is needed to provide a solid education for their children.

There is bloat in school district parolls.....but it sure as hell ain't in the salaries of teacher/coaches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom