School Resource Officer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SRO's and college PO's (and in many cases, airport PO's), are commissioned LEO's who have restricted and in some cases, compromised rules of engagement, based on management concerns regarding public relations and money.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that some libs think kids will be traumatized by seeing an armed office in their school.
I think they should teach their kids that the officer is in a position of honor, and when they see him they should tell him "thanks for taking care of us Mr. Smith".
And then there's the officer in the Florida shooting, sort of kills the whole honorable position thing.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wrong... I'm sure there are some that don't do much, however, the officers at Brink Jr High, and Westmoore HS, in OKC, do much more. They develop relationships with the students, giving them someone they feel safe talking to, they are available to teachers and councilors and assist them in working with troubled students, and in a couple of instances where these schools were locked down due to police activity in the area, they quickly implemented school security activities, and remained in charge until the incident cleared. These guys probably would rather be on the street, but they are doing a heck of a good job, and greatly help with student - police relationships.

There are poor examples in every profession, but first responders of all types have my respect and prayers.

Most Students that attend a Title 1 School have not had any contact with a Police Officer in a positive way.
SRO's try to enter act with students in a positive way

I understand they do much more, I know almost all the SRO's from those schools personally. But from a legal, basic standpoint, they are Police Officers. They aren't armed security guards, or just CLEET Certified, they are an actual "specialized" departmental unit, much like Solo Motors, IMPACT, or Gangs. They have arresting powers, and are uniformed Police Officers. They are all great guys who go out of their way for those kids daily, and I wasn't trying to take away anything from those Officers. I'd also like to point out that the OCPD Officers who work Moore Schools do it as an extra job in addition to the normal 80 hour work week (8 on 6 off), which speaks even more highly of the job they do since they are working in those schools as a second job on their "downtime".

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, I don't know. SROs have been a "thing" since like the 60's the last time I looked into it.

They aren't just supposed to be cops or armed security guards...they are supposed to be integrated into the school and be a "resource" for the administrators. There is supposed to be a student education and awareness aspect to their job as well...not just a cop sitting in a cruiser in the parking lot. Picture it like the good old fashioned beat cop who got to know everyone on his street...but in a school.
That's the way it's supposed to be. My kids in the late 90's had them on campus. Kind of a Barney Fife personna that intervened when hallway fights, etc happened.
Like all humans, there were some good that interfaced with the students and were popular, and one or two that were authoritarians that thought they had the sole responsibility to whip the kids into shape.
Better to have a good guy with a gun on campus than the alternative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom