Snakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
strangest snake story i ever read, also saw it on TV news, happened in Arkansas when i was living there. this fellow was mowing his yard and got off his riding mower and almost stepped on a copperhead, the copperhead bit him and he fell backwards trying to get away from it, he landed on a pygmy rattlesnake that bit him on the back. the family lived out in the sticks and put him in the bed of a pickup truck and raced towards the closest hospital. he didn't make it

and i used to work at a pro shop at a north little rock golf course along the river, we had people getting copperhead bitten right regular. old guy named stan who showed up everyday went missing for 3 days, when he showed up i asked where he had been, stan was a ball hawk and walked the edges of the fairways while he played, looking for golf balls. he saw one, reached in to get and a copperhead bit him on the forearm, he said it made him sweat and have a bad headache until his nurse daughter dropped by and picked out the broken off fang in one of the wounds, his are looked like the worst case of dandruff you'd ever seen, exfoliating like crazy

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jebus, i have lots of crazy snake stories stored in memory. while in sunny s.e. asia i read a story in Navy Times, (all the first class 8 holers always had copies of the navy times) ...anyway this F4 pilot was flying a mission one day and was startled to see a 3 step snake in the cockpit with him and the radar operator, but i think the radar operator was safe. anyway the pilot put the F4 in a straight up full military power climb, and when got to an altitude he knew the snake could not abide stayed there for awhile to be certain the snake was dead or completely dormant from the temps at altitude. the vietnamese called the bamboo viper the 3 step snake, if you got bitten within 3 steps you collapse and begin the dying process. i don't know if the 3 step info is accurate, don't recall anyone getting bitten by one. there were lots of cobras there as well.

and then the navy times story of a squad night ambush, a tiger grabbed one of the squad and started dragging him off, he punched it several times on it's nose and it released him. the squad settled back down and the tiger came back and grabbed the same guy again, this time they shot it, blew their ambush site and had to hump back out of indian country, in the dark, to the company HQ

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know. I'm not a snake ID expert. I do know rattlers and copperheads for a positive ID, as well as hognose and banded water snakes. That's about it. As I understand it, there are so many rat snake varieties that it takes an expert to identify all of them.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't know. I'm not a snake ID expert. I do know rattlers and copperheads for a positive ID, as well as hognose and banded water snakes. That's about it. As I understand it, there are so many rat snake varieties that it takes an expert to identify all of them.
No expert either but I think there was some eastern indigo snakes introduced in texas that look like that snake but I am no snake expert by
no means.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No expert either but I think there was some eastern indigo snakes introduced in texas that look like that snake but I am no snake expert by
no means.
All I know is that they are rodent eating machines, and they get a pass from me. At times though I've had to throw my body across one to prevent the wife from cutting it into pieces with a shovel. :blush:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At times though I've had to throw my body across one to prevent the wife from cutting it into pieces with a shovel.
Funny thing about most wives, snakes need to die is their common theme. Got woken up this morning by mine yelling there is a snake in the front flower bed. Walked out and chased the racer away, took an arse chewing for not shooting it. I recovered and the snake lives another day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing about most wives, snakes need to die is their common theme. Got woken up this morning by mine yelling there is a snake in the front flower bed. Walked out and chased the racer away, took an arse chewing for not shooting it. I recovered and the snake lives another day.
My wife would wreck her SUV to run over one on the road.
She points out the spots where she did exactly that on the way to town.
One of these days when I throw my body across one, she is going to get a twofer if it's been a bad day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom