South Dakota to let schools arm teachers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this a Good idea ?

• Yes - I Think It Is Great

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • No - Only Professional Security Should Be Used

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Meh - Just Leave them alone

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes - Great Idea - We Need It Here Too

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • NO - Let The Government Handle It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - There Should Be No Weapons In Schools

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read this and just can't decide whether this a good idea or a poor idea. I am all for armed security at schools that deem it necessary .... bit I want to be totally sure that anyone who is armed has had some sort of advanced training or even prior experience (i.e. Military, LE, etc.). I was just wondering what others thought about this.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/08/south-dakota-to-let-schools-arm-teachers/comment-page-1/

Just for info - I believe that some type of armed deterrent is really needed at this time. Times have changed and there are just too many 'Nut Cases' or 'Wanna' Be's' out there. This is not the 50's - :(

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read this and just can't decide whether this a good idea or a poor idea. I am all for armed security at schools that deem it necessary .... bit I want to be totally sure that anyone who is armed has had some sort of advanced training or even prior experience (i.e. Military, LE, etc.). I was just wondering what others thought about this.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/08/south-dakota-to-let-schools-arm-teachers/comment-page-1/

Just for info - I believe that some type of armed deterrent is really needed at this time. Times have changed and there are just too many 'Nut Cases' or 'Wanna' Be's' out there. This is not the 50's - :(

The "advanced training" in my opinion might be over rated. What's needed is WILLINGNESS to do what's necessary. That does not come from training. Just my two .

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
advanced training in what? Combat shooting? Carrying a gun safely concealed? Drawing it quickly?
Shooting accurately and quickly?
and how will we define advanced training?

Also, if a teacher can carry outside of school concealed, around kids, why can't they carry concealed inside of school? Are they constantly getting tackled or something, by unruly kids? I doubt that.

:)

Last edited:

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to see what qualifications and checks one would have to pass, but I am all for well qualified and well trained professionals carrying in our schools, no more shooting fish in a barrel. I don't care about the security guard part. You know how easy it is to get cleet certified to carry a weapon?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today, my daughter's middle school had a lockdown after some idiot in a ski hat or mask decided to use the school building as a shortcut. They saw him climbing a fence, then going in and lost track of him before they could catch up. They decided to lock down the school while they searched.

My daughter told me that all the male teachers and the principal went to cover all the exits, and baseball bats were brought out of the equipment bags and passed around. She said it was obvious they had talked about this before.

I'd bet money that most of them would have preferred a handgun to a baseball bat while guarding the entrances. My daughter told me she would have felt a lot safer if they had been armed with guns.

This happened in Cushing, BTW. As it turned out, he likely left as soon as he entered, but nobody saw him leave.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma should join South Dakota and the handful of other states like Utah that allow carry at schools. States in which there have been NO incidents, that I can find, where a teacher acted irresponsibly or put students in danger by being armed. If a real threat to your children presented itself at school, and seconds count, would you prefer a responsible armed adult be able to protect them or a responsible adult who is unarmed because they don't meet the "requirements"? I too was part of a lock down at school today.

http://www.facebook.com/OKsafeclassrooms

Latest posts

Top Bottom