State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the panacea for our problems was the lottery and gambling? That is what they promised that a certain portion would go toward schools and educational areas.
You just can't trust politicians or ex-politicians, they got us into this economic mess and they darn sure aren't going to get us out.

I think we were all given that thought to get the gambling thing passed. I saw some numbers yesterday on a tv program that was addressing this very thing.
Gambling revenues only cover a small percentage of the real cost of education in this state.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of our legislators have been bucking their own party and stirring things up in OKC since last session concerning how our money is handled. i.e. fees that exceed operating expenses for agencies, decades of ear marked portions of taxes that fund items the tax was never intended to fund, legislature only controls 45% of revenues, low rainy day fund cap. Oklahoma needs some serious overhauling of how the money is appropriated and apportioned but there are many with a stake in the game that will resist. School administrative bloat is a myth and consolidation would do little to solve any financial issues. LA has a fraction of the districts OK does but spends nearly 100 million more on administration.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Privatize schools. A lot of schools around here are church schools. Why should I pay for some one else's kids education. The parents of the kids should be responsible
for their own kids education. Some parents already home school their kids. Maybe it would teach the kids more individual responsibility and they would be more self
sufficient and not depend on government handouts. It would save a lot of money spent on buses, buildings etc. and all the unnessary public school administrators.
Not to mention getting rid of the ad valorem tax. :yelclap:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And as illegals pour in, the educational system is going to be stretched even more. I read on Yahoo news this AM that the maternal mortality rate is increasing in this country and it might be because we are allowing so many people in from poorer countries...they have no money and bring their poverty in and need financial assistance which our system provides gratis. This is an additional burden on those that pay taxes.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Privatize schools. A lot of schools around here are church schools. Why should I pay for some one else's kids education. The parents of the kids should be responsible
for their own kids education. Some parents already home school their kids. Maybe it would teach the kids more individual responsibility and they would be more self
sufficient and not depend on government handouts. It would save a lot of money spent on buses, buildings etc. and all the unnessary public school administrators.
Not to mention getting rid of the ad valorem tax. :yelclap:

Just curious Podman but did your parents pay for the first 12 yrs of your education? I can guarantee you the property taxes on real estate did not get it done. So who did?

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My property taxes are $3600/year. That's pretty close to getting it done in most small Christian schools.

That is not close to the christian schools I am familiar with that have national certification. You would be looking at more like 4800-6000/yr and they can go up on that at the drop of a hat ie, tomorrow. They have no controls on what they charge you. I know of 2 that had bad financial yrs so they added a an additional charge toward the end of the year . Bixby stays at the maximum bond indebtedness level so your taxes should not fluctuate a great deal. Now the county assessor can change them via a new assessment of your property's value but again that is out of the hands of the school. Are you also aware that schools don't get much more than 55% of most property taxes each year. County, fire protection, ambulance, etc all get a piece of it in addition ot Vo Techs. :thumb:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the sales tax increase is passed the legislature will be emboldened to redirect more money away from education toward other areas of .gov they prefer.

Then, when the next fiscal crisis arrives, we will all be posting "I thought horse racing was going to fund the schools" and "I thought the lottery was going to fund the schools" and "I thought the sales tax increase was going to fund the schools".

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is not close to the christian schools I am familiar with that have national certification. You would be looking at more like 4800-6000/yr and they can go up on that at the drop of a hat ie, tomorrow. They have no controls on what they charge you. I know of 2 that had bad financial yrs so they added a an additional charge toward the end of the year . Bixby stays at the maximum bond indebtedness level so your taxes should not fluctuate a great deal. Now the county assessor can change them via a new assessment of your property's value but again that is out of the hands of the school. Are you also aware that schools don't get much more than 55% of most property taxes each year. County, fire protection, ambulance, etc all get a piece of it in addition ot Vo Techs. :thumb:

As a parent, I'm really not concerned about a national certification that uses the failing public school curriculums as a standard. Almost any education in a structured environment is going to be better than a public school education.

As a matter of fact, I do understand that not all property taxes go to local schools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom