State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And before we blame the abilities of the teachers, we need to look at the students they are working with. Do these kids have parents that are committed to their child's success? Can the parents assist with the education of the child? Can the parents afford tutoring? Are the parents competent enough at parenting to put education before extra curricular activities?

Parent issues are an issue in every state, city, and school district. It is not unique to Oklahoma and has little to do with the cost of educating students in our state vs any other.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shootin I know quite well how large, and small districts work from an administrative viewpoint. I worked at both levels as an administrator and will tell you a great deal of money could be saved by reducing the number of districts. I have never known of a principal being a vice supt. lol Tell me how that works and where that is in fact in place right now. I want to visit that school. I may just know an administrator in that district. Please tell me.

Consolidation is a huge step in upgrading education in this very poor state where every dollar counts. :thumb:

You can start with Bixby. The HS principal spends more time attending to the superintendent than he does with the operation of the high school.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parent issues are an issue in every state, city, and school district. It is not unique to Oklahoma and has little to do with the cost of educating students in our state vs any other.

Didn't say that it did. I said not to judge the abilities of the teachers based on failing students.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can start with Bixby. The HS principal spends more time attending to the superintendent than he does with the operation of the high school.

Both of my sons graduated from Bixby. The supt there, Dr. Kyle Wood was once a teacher and coach for me in another district. He was also a principal at another district when I was an Asst Supt.

GREAT man and VERY intelligent. Now I will tell you there are NOT 7-8 asst principals at Bixby HS. If you can be specific with your complaints I might ask him more about it.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not complaining. My kid is done and gone.

ETA: How many assistant principals are there in Bixby HS?

ETA: Nevermind. Bixby school district has 8 principals and 9 assistant principals on staff for the 2015-2016 school year.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dr. Wood is in many educators eyes, one of the top 5 Supts in the state. Bixby is very fortunate.

I'll take your word for it. I'm not convinced that increasing the work load on administrators will result in our kids receiving better educations. I'm also not sure that pay raises for teachers will increase the quality of the instruction they deliver. Throwing money at the problem and juggling positions is what the system has been doing for years. Is the system any better now than it was 40 years ago?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it. I'm not convinced that increasing the work load on administrators will result in our kids receiving better educations. I'm also not sure that pay raises for teachers will increase the quality of the instruction they deliver. Throwing money at the problem and juggling positions is what the system has been doing for years. Is the system any better now than it was 40 years ago?

exactly, the real problem is the breakdown of traditional family values. we can throw all kinds of money at the teachers but graduation numbers won't go up, drop out rates won't go down, overall test scores won't improve.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bixby would be effected very little with forced consolidation. Leonard k-8 would be likely sent to Bixby but that is about it. Consolidation is more of a rural thing than suburban. A more realistic example could be say Catoosa, Verdigris, Tiawah/Justus, and Inola together to become one district with pilot campuses at 2 of those locations. Another could be Foyil, Chelsea, Claremore Sequoyah, become one system. Oologah/Talala, and Claremore to make one large district in Rogers County with the others I have already mentioned to make a total of 3 districts in Rogers County instead of the present 9 or 10 now in the county. Just examples but boy start trying to convince any of those schools to voluntarily do it and there would be nothing done!!! This is just one county. Take all 77 and you will quickly see shifting from 530 or so down to say 200 would be more of a challenge than anyone could imagine. The right thing to do in order to save money, duplication of programs, fewer administrators, and best use of funds ABSOLUTELY. Getting it done well WAR!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom