State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'm betting your pediatrist doesn't deal with life and death that often. Or rather, i should hope not.

And most teachers probably go to school longer than guys laying shingles. Also, 'hours worked' is somewhat of a misnomer. I'm guessing a roofer doesn't have to go home and grade papers or write tests.
I'm saying that the ability to save lives is more valuable than the ability to teach children to be number 48 in the nation.
That roofer did his 16 hours in the sun not six and air-conditioned classroom and an hour set on his couch

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doctors go to school twice as long as teachers, they work more hours the teachers, they deal with life and death

Who teaches our doctors?

With some of the comments in this thread you can see why Oklahoma education has been in the gutter for years and why that will continue.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saying that the ability to save lives is more valuable than the ability to teach children to be number 48 in the nation.
That roofer did his 16 hours in the sun not six and air-conditioned classroom and an hour set on his couch

where do you think those with the 'ability to save lives' start, though? Maybe if Oklahoma paid teachers more, the best teachers wouldn't leave the state and Oklahoma wouldn't be no. 48.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The minimum teacher salary in Oklahoma with zero years of experience is $31,600, HVAC apprentice is the people who run ductwork make $12-$14 an hour, show me any roofers The guys actually nailing on the shingles who make more than that .

As far as which is harder how many 50+ pounds overweight duct installers or roofers have you seen?

Btw, Stress and hard or two different things

So, your definition of "hard work" is the number of overweight people that can perform the job? Or, given your duct-work and roofing in the summer example, is it how much you sweat per day? And, if that is the case, then are you arguing that we should pay more to people that are working harder by these measures?

That minimum teacher's salary equates to less than $12-14 per hour. Again, in your opinion, how much should teachers make?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, your definition of "hard work" is the number of overweight people that can perform the job? Or, given your duct-work and roofing in the summer example, is it how much you sweat per day? And, if that is the case, then are you arguing that we should pay more to people that are working harder by these measures?

That minimum teacher's salary equates to less than $12-14 per hour. Again, in your opinion, how much should teachers make?
For the quality of product they're producing I think they're making more than enough. Typical union mentality demand high wages for poor quality work

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you didn't prove anything I did not already know. I am trying to get you to solve your own problem, little steps at a time. I will not complete your assignment for you.

You're not anyone's teacher on OSA and we don't owe you any "assignments". You'd do well to remember that, because you're now hurting the cause you're championing. :rolleyes2

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
where do you think those with the 'ability to save lives' start, though? Maybe if Oklahoma paid teachers more, the best teachers wouldn't leave the state and Oklahoma wouldn't be no. 48.
So if we raise teacher salaries to get the better teachers how do we keep the ones that are producing the 48th in the nation students from getting a higher wage to your fire them all?because the union demands that they all get the same wage at the same level regardless of the quality of their work

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the quality of product they're producing I think they're making more than enough. Typical union mentality demand high wages for poor quality work
Again, which schools are set-up to give teachers the summers totally off?
Again, how much should we pay teachers, in your opinion? How much per hour?
What do you think would happen to the quality of teaching if we paid teachers more? That is, do you think most of the good/better teachers would continue to move out of state as fast as possible to secure much higher pay, or would they continue to make the worst wages in the nation for the same work here in Ok?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if we raise teacher salaries to get the better teachers how do we keep the ones that are producing the 48th in the nation students from getting a higher wage to your fire them all?because the union demands that they all get the same wage at the same level regardless of the quality of their work

I asked about merit based pay, that you proposed; but we have yet to see your plan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom