Survived the tornado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been out of touch since the tornado last week, we are NE of Falcon lake on the N side of waterloo.
Our whole neighborhood is gone except me, & 3 other houses. If you don’t have an underground shelter get one they saved a number of lives in our addition.

Only got 1 of my dogs into the shelter could not muscle the big boy down or catch my pointer. Went back into the house & put them in the back closet. Took a look at the tv on the way back out & it was just south of Falcon lake. My son & I ran to meet my wife in the shelter & lock the door. Before shutting the door I saw it coming, still cannot get the picture out of my mind, huge & black.5 mins latter we could hear the train & our ears popped. The turbine on the shelter was going faster & faster until it was sucked up into the storm. We looked out of the hole in the top of the shelter & saw tree limbs, lumber shingles & whatever else there was in the debris field.

When it was over my son went to gather the survivors’ & bring them to our house, we had the only roof left. He took control & was handing out towel & his cloths to the wet, muddy terrified kids. Made me proud, some of that Boy Scout training paid off. He also led us in prayer in the shelter when the storm was over us. I cannot complain about his X-box time now.

Thank you & God bless those less fortunate than myself & family

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great to hear you and your family is okay. It sounds like you have a boy to be real proud of. I am sure it's a lot to deal with.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thankful you and your family made it through all of that in decent shape Gun Dog. That must have been pretty scary for all of you. It sounds like you have quite a good hearted son.

Did the big dog and the pointer make it okay in the closet?

like2shoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gundog, I'm with the Piedmont FD and spent 3 days at Falcon Lake. You were one of the lucky few in that area. Glad to hear you are ok, if you need something, drop me a line. I live about 5 miles south of you.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys took it on the chin for sure up there. Sounds like you have raised a helluva young man there. Glad that your doing okay, not everyone was so lucky as you've already stated.

The Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (mostly the boy scouts) here in Piedmont spent the weekend cleaning fields and a cemetary. I couldn't have been more proud of those boys if they were my own.

SDS

Latest posts

Top Bottom