Target has access to the OK Drivers License database!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The technology to do this has been around for about 5 years (in Oklahoma). I am surprised you guys are just now getting the paranoia bug over it

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, come on people. The only reason they scan the ID is that the point of sale system takes the clerks guess work out of reading the ID and to insure that Target is following the law of who can purchase alcohol. When they scan the alcohol the POS system requires ID proof od age, before the clerk had to input the go/no go response. Then if the sale was not legal the manager had to suffer the wrath of a ticket. This way the clerk scans the alcohol, then scans the backside of the DL for a positive confirmation of a legal purchase.

I see no problems with this, most bars in the surrounding states have been doing this for years.

+1

Although maybe more people would let the cashier scan their licenses if it meant a discount on tin foil…

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm loling right now. I swear, you people.

The bar code just has the same information as on the front of the license.

The register asks for age on certain products. I'm assuming that Target has a system similar to bars that require the barcode on the license to be scanned. The reason for this is quite simple: it's fairly idiot/fraud proof. Remember that if you sell beer one time to an undercover informant, you are pretty much screwed, this takes the guesswork out of that.

At walmart, the register first asks the cashier if the person is buying alcohol is under forty, you don't ask them, you look at them and guess. If you say they are under forty it asks you to key in the birthday on the license, another spot where a miskey/intentional keying error can ruin your business.

The barcode system takes the possibility for error. It's not some Illuminati conspiracy. I highly doubt that the information taken from the license is even saved, and if any is, it's probably just the birthday.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to be able to do that when we were signing people up for discount cards. take the ID, scan it, enters all of the information you'd give signing up for it anyway. Just makes your job that much easier.

I had a few people who were like, "ah nah I don't want YOU having all that information anyway." It's far less than you give when you buy ammo online, which has a far greater chance of being compromised.

Honestly it probably just entered the DoB for the clerk and nothing else. Just 'cause something gets scanned doesn't mean everything gets taken. I guarantee it's more a case of half-literate half-wits with dyslexia entering it wrong and it getting flagged as 96 instead of 69 or some BS, than an insidious plot. If it freaks you out next time just ask to see what it's taken down. I guarantee it'll only be DoB and is only there to make the clerk's job go faster.

I usually entered it manually anyway just to avoid this kind of bull. No, m'am, I'm asking you where your live so I can meet quota on these silly F*@#* things, not so I can break into your house and rape you. No, sir, I didn't just enter you into The Beast. hahaha. FBI has your fingerprints and you've a social security number that allows the .Gov to take taxes directly from your check, and you're worried about them tracking your beer intake? Got a lot of work to do if you want to live of grid, bubba.

9/10s, too, if you just ask people like you expect them to give it to you, they'll give it to you, no matter what it is. I could ask, "SSN?" and they'd be halfway down the street before they realized they just gave it out to a stranger. I got a few phone numbers just like that. ;)

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Sam's Club membership a few months back and they asked for my DL. I asked why? They said that they had to verify my ID before they would give me a membership. I gave the lady my DL and the next thing I know, she's typing in my license number. I asked her why? She said "I don't know, thats just what they tell us to do."

Probably to prevent identity theft.

I know that it sometimes asks for it on checks over a certain value, to avoid check fraud.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm loling right now. I swear, you people.

The bar code just has the same information as on the front of the license.

The register asks for age on certain products. I'm assuming that Target has a system similar to bars that require the barcode on the license to be scanned. The reason for this is quite simple: it's fairly idiot/fraud proof. Remember that if you sell beer one time to an undercover informant, you are pretty much screwed, this takes the guesswork out of that.

At walmart, the register first asks the cashier if the person is buying alcohol is under forty, you don't ask them, you look at them and guess. If you say they are under forty it asks you to key in the birthday on the license, another spot where a miskey/intentional keying error can ruin your business.

The barcode system takes the possibility for error. It's not some Illuminati conspiracy. I highly doubt that the information taken from the license is even saved, and if any is, it's probably just the birthday.

When you can change that to "It only reads the birth date and does not store any information" I'll buy. Till then it's still more than I want them to have. :(

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I guess since your age is only 20 we can forgive you for being naive. What are gonna do when they want to just tattoo that same information on the back of your hand? They'll say it'll be safer and prevent fraud. Where does it stop?

Latest posts

Top Bottom