The demise of Amy Winehouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a hard road. People who have not been there, will never know. It is hard on everyone. There was many times that I felt like her death was days away. With the help of family and God, she over came it. Thank you guys, for the words.

Don't mention it, brother.

You're right about this: "People who have not been there, will never know"

I know this to be very true because I had adopted that attitude myself at some point and didn't really understand it.
On the other hand I got to learn the hard way (as I often do) the other side of it when I actually *became* an addict.
It's definitely a tough fight...one that I've battled with for many years.

I haven't posted much about it on here over the years for some seemingly rather obvious reasons, but...it is what it is.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I read comments like those it sometimes makes me wonder if they'd be written/posted if it were a family member or close friend.
Then again, as an addict, maybe I tend to take it too personal...

Or if they liked her music more.

P.S.
Big kudos to the Biggsly family, have you considered writing about the experience, what was learned, what helped, ect. so that it might somehow be used to help other families in need?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or if they liked her music more.

I'm in this category; I may be a bit hard on artists that don't strike a proverbial chord with me. If it was one of my personal favorites that died I'd be defending the mark they made.

The whole talent and tragedy is a razor's edge to walk thing is often true, but people tend to put all untimely deaths on the same pedestal. The whole "27 club" thing is proof of people's need to categorize like that. It's what they accomplished in their short lives that should make them legends, not dying at the same age or even dying young.

I also deal with most personal losses/serious issues with flippant humor for the record. I just have to watch who I do it around.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL
I think most of those situations are (long stories) due to the nature of the disease.

If I could write a book it would literally shock some folks to their very foundations and prolly sell as well as some of the latest rock star memrois....particularly since I "participated" with some of those folks.:)

I can say tho' that I *have* used my experiences to help others begin recovery and I know of at least one longstanding success story.
I guess if you can help just one person...right? :anyone:

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in this category; I may be a bit hard on artists that don't strike a proverbial chord with me. If it was one of my personal favorites that died I'd be defending the mark they made.

The whole talent and tragedy is a razor's edge to walk thing is often true, but people tend to put all untimely deaths on the same pedestal. The whole "27 club" thing is proof of people's need to categorize like that. It's what they accomplished in their short lives that should make them legends, not dying at the same age or even dying young.

I also deal with most personal losses/serious issues with flippant humor for the record. I just have to watch who I do it around.

I was referring to how we treat addicts based on who they are or how much we like them.

"people tend to put all untimely deaths on the same pedestal"
Yes, and also sometimes exaggerate the persons talent, accomplishments etc., like when some tried to compare Anna Nichol to Marylin Monroe.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest I don't think I could even recognize *one* Amy Winehouse song if I heard it.
I didn't know much at all about her save for the occasional blurb in the press about her shennanigans.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She never did any harm to anyone. Maybe a poor example, but other than that, as far as I know, she never did any harm to anyone but herself. She had a hell of a voice. I always wondered how a voice like that could come out of someone who had abused their self the way she did. She definitely had a gift. It's too bad she never learned how to use it with more grace. That's the waste. That someone with an exceptional gift throws it away.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wondered how a voice like that could come out of someone who had abused their self the way she did. She definitely had a gift. It's too bad she never learned how to use it with more grace. That's the waste. That someone with an exceptional gift throws it away.

Look up "Tortured artist" ;)

There's long been a link between creativity/abuse

Latest posts

Top Bottom