The "Gimme Generation" - Warning! Rant ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New employee of mine: "can you wait to file that new hire thingy? That way it will take longer for the child support people to find me & take my money. Me: no, I file it right away, because that's the law. New guy: we'll, we live together anyway, and my baby's Momma gets food & rent anyway, so she don't need the money or anything. Plus, I want these new wheels for my truck. Me: It costs me enough to support my own family. I shouldn't have to support yours too. New guy: oh you don't, it's some gov. thing that pays for everything. UGH!!!!! Idiot.

Sounds like a real go getter you have there. Is he still employed?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say this but people didn't get that way on their own. I am 33 and I have had a job since I was 12 except for a short two month period when I was sixteen. I bought my own clothes, gas, and made a vehicle payment while I was in high school. I believe if my parents had the means to buy me everything I wanted they would have and I would be a spoiled person. Fact is we were not of means and if you wanted something you worked for it. You got Levi's and Payless shoes. If you wanted Luckys and some Nike's you needed a job. People always worked hard to give their children more than they had growing up. I think it has just backfired. It wasn't intentional. It is a big gripe of mine also.

There are still good hardworking kids out there, but they are harder and harder to find.

We hire a lot of younger people where I work, and we still get one every now and then that will bust tail from 7 to 5 and never complain or ask for anything more they a paycheck. Please don't loose faith in the whole generation. I know it's not easy with all the people wanting loan forgiveness and mortgage forgiveness. Even more frustrating when you go to the grocery store on the first.

And a LOT of them post and/or lurk on this board. I like to complain as much as the next guy but let's not lose sight of the fact that many, many, many of these young men and women have died in the last 10 years in our military. There are many more who are here raising families and doing the best they can with what they have (an economy that sucks). I have a great amount of faith that these kids. They are our future.

I feel for tRdoc. Like GC, he sees a ... well ... errr ... ahem ... "less than motivated" group of young people. After a while you start to thinking everyone is like that. Throw in any edition of the news, local or national ... seems like the goofier, dumber, or more absurd the story the more likely it is they will lead with it and follow with it the next night. Everything is a tabloid headline these days.

But just think ... while these folks are getting in the news there are 100 other quiet, hard-working families (who support them with their tax dollars) who go quietly about their business. Us old folks are a pretty good sized group, but we ain't everybody (thank God, cuz we are a crotchety bunch! ;)).

OK ... back to your regularly scheduled programing ...

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are our kids, what did we do wrong? Did we neglect our parenting responsibilities because we were so wound up in providing a better childhood than we had? Ethics are instilled, blame the parents.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. What's the point?

On the road of experience, join in the living day
If there's an answer, it's just that it's just that way

Not point much to it all really. He was an Englishman who came to the U.S. to sing songs and smoke dope and protest a war WE in the U.S. were in. Things that would probably get him in a lot of trouble across the pond where he's from.

To answer the rest of your post, I agree. You can't save a world that doesn't want to be saved. In nicer language, Same stuff, different day.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The youth of today wouldn't get such a bad rap if all of the legions of gubment leeches that are twice their age weren't getting lumped in.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those are our kids, what did we do wrong? Did we neglect our parenting responsibilities because we were so wound up in providing a better childhood than we had? Ethics are instilled, blame the parents.

We did nothing wrong as parents, in fact i think we did great in general. So good in fact that our kids cant really make more money, have nicer houses or drive newer cars or be that much better educated.

As for the ethics, i see a lot less racism, more concern for the poor and elderly. Better understanding of decriminalizing certain drugs. More tolerant of gay rights. Ect ect.

Our kids will take a turn and lead our country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom